A six-month snapshot of some of the violence and sexual violence perpetrated by men against women of all ages in Australia 2015
January 1 – June 30
Reported (to and by police only) alleged and convicted rapes, sexual assaults and violence towards women by men. – Rape, sexual assault and domestic violence are Highly Under-Reported and Highly Gendered crimes. #rapedneverreported
– …Thy Name is Male Entitlement – Liberation Collective
Thursday July 30
– Sexual Assault. Police are investigating the serious sexual assault of an elderly woman by a man who broke into her West Launceston home on Tuesday morning. The man is described as [being] of slim build, softly spoken with possibly an olive skin complexion, he was in an agitated state. He was wearing dark coloured clothing with a hooded top.”
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. Victorian police have spent the night questioning a man in custody after a teenager missing for more than a day near Bendigo in central Victoria was found alive. The 18-year-old went for a jog through a bush reserve known as One Tree Hill at the nearby La Trobe University on Wednesday but did not return. She was found on Thursday afternoon by patrolling officers in a car at Maiden Gully, a suburb in Bendigo’s west, and taken to hospital. A Bendigo man in his 30s was arrested a short time later and remains in custody. “We believe at this stage she’s been assaulted and we’re investigating that,” Detective Senior Sergeant Rod Stewart told ABC Statewide Drive.
– Robbery with Weapon. Police are investigating after a woman was robbed and threatened in her home in North Ipswich this morning. At around 7.15am, a man has climbed through a window at a Holdsworth Road address and started going through cupboards in the house. The man entered a bedroom where an 85-year-old woman was asleep. He woke her, and demanded cash, while holding a knife in his hand. The man fled after the woman gave him cash. The woman wasn’t physically injured during the incident. The man is described as being of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Island appearance, aged around 20 years and clean shaven, and tall.
– Alleged, Indecent Exposure. Northern Territory Police have arrested a 31-year-old man in relation to an indecent exposure incident this afternoon. Territory Duty Superintendent Greg Pusterla said Police allege the man indecently exposed himself on a bus between Humpty Doo and Palmerston at around 1:30pm.
“He remains in Police custody and is expected to be charged later today.”
– Alleged, Indecent Exposure. An undercover cop who posed as a runner has caught an alleged teenage serial flasher with his pants down in an elaborate police sting. For more than a month the 15-year-old boy had allegedly been terrorising women and girls at Edmonton, jumping nude from a bush at a busy intersection as they walked past. The boy has been charged with five counts of wilful exposure and will be dealt with under the provisions of the Youth Justice Act 1992.
Wednesday July 29
– Sexual Assault. Police are investigating the sexual assault of a woman at Boondall on Wednesday afternoon. The woman was confronted in a house about 3.20pm by a man before being sexually assaulted. Officers would like to speak to a man described as 175cm tall, of slim build with an olive complexion, black hair and brown eyes and tattoos on his left forearm and upper arm.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Child Pornography. A 22-year-old Melbourne man has appeared in court facing 88 child pornography charges, including “encouraging” and advising on the abduction, rape and killing of a 5-year-old girl in Russia. Matthew David Graham, who lived in South Morang with his parents when he was arrested in a joint Victoria police/FBI sting last year, is an alleged member of an online paedophile ring on secret “dark web” sites specialising in torture and grotesque sexual acts with children, including babies and toddlers.
– *Update ~ Wilful Exposure. Police have released images of a man they believe may be able to assist them with their investigation into two reports of wilful exposure. The first incident occurred in Kelvin Grove in 2009 and the second incident occurred in Connor Street, Fortitude Valley on March 20 of this year. The man is described as being Asian in appearance, approximately 175-183cm tall, with a slim to proportionate build and believed to be aged between 29 and 33. At the time of the Fortitude Valley incident, he was wearing a black t-shirt, blue jeans and bright blue joggers, and holding a yellow mobile phone.
Tuesday July 28
– Stalking, Indecent Assault. A teenage girl has been stalked and indecently assaulted in Melbourne’s CBD. A man followed a group of teenage girls from a fast-food outlet on Swanston Street about 3.25pm last Tuesday. He shadowed the girls along Swanston Street to the intersection of Flinders Street, police said. He then indecently assaulted one of the girls as they waited for the pedestrian lights to change.
– Assault. Police are investigating after a teenage girl was assaulted at Warner overnight. Initial investigations indicate the incident occurred at a Curlew Court residence around 2.45am after the home was broken into. The victim, a teenage girl, was taken to the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital with what are believed to be non-life threatening injuries. It is believed that the victim and the offender may be known to each other. A crime scene has been established with investigations continuing.
– Alleged, Sexual Assault of Minors, Child Pornography. A Brisbane teacher’s aide who allegedly lured teenage boys into bushland before orally raping them has been granted bail for the second time in a week. The 40-year-old man, who had worked for Education Queensland since 2007, appeared in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Tuesday on charges of rape, following an earlier court appearance. He was arrested for making and possessing child exploitation material and was granted conditional bail last Thursday with a warning to “keep away from teenage boys”.
– Alleged, Child Grooming. A 37 old man Perth man is accused of grooming a 13-year-old girl for sex. Police said the man used social media to arrange to meet the girl at Lake Monger Reserve in Glendalough. He has been charged with one count of using electronic communication to procure a child believed to be under the age of 16 to engage in sexual activity.
Monday July 27
– Assault. Western Adelaide Detectives have released an image of man sought by police after he assaulted a woman at Semaphore on Monday. At about 1.30pm on Monday 27 July, a woman was working in an office on Semaphore Road, when a male intruder entered the room and assaulted the woman. The woman screamed when the man grabbed her and then bit him on the hand causing him to let go and leave the office walking east on Semaphore Road. The suspect is described as about 30-year-old, 160-170cm with a stocky build with short dark hair.
Wednesday July 26
– Indecent Assault. Ryde detectives are appealing for witnesses following the second indecent assault of a woman in Epping in a week. Police from Ryde Local Area Command have been told a 27-year-old woman walked from Epping Railway Station along Carlingford Road on Monday night. About 11.15pm, she continued north along Midson Road; when she was near the intersection of Close Lane, she was grabbed from behind by a man who placed a hand across her mouth before indecently assaulting her. The man attempted to drag the woman into nearby bushes, but she was able to break free and scream for help. The man was last seen running south along Midson Road and then into Grant Close.
Thursday July 18
– Alleged, Domestic Violence, Assault. Being in custody is a revolving door for an Orange man who police allege assaulted his pregnant partner by punching and kicking her and threatening her with a knife in a violent domestic violence assault. Orange Local Court heard on Tuesday the man was released from prison in February this year after serving time for a similar violent domestic assault on another female. The man was arrested after police claim a verbal argument between the man and his 10-week pregnant partner had escalated. Police allege on July 18, while the woman was on the floor nursing her two- year-old child from another relationships, the accused punched and kicked the victim before going to the kitchen and returning with a knife, threatening the woman by holding it to her face.
Saturday June 27
– Alleged, Indecent Assault.
An Uber driver in Perth has been charged with indecently assaulting a young woman passenger last month. Sex Assault Squad detectives investigated the complaint and charged a 51-year-old Scarborough man following the June 27 incident. A police spokeswoman said about 11.15pm a registered Uber driver collected a 20-year-old woman from a home in a southern Perth suburb. It is alleged the driver indecently assaulted the woman during the journey.
Friday June 19
– Alleged, Assault. A 45 year old man has faced court in Hobart charged with causing grievous bodily harm. He will re-appear in court on Monday. Police alleged he splashed petrol on the woman and set her alight in the garage of an Austin’s Ferry home at about 9:45pm on Friday. The 43-year-old woman injured in the alleged attack is in an induced coma in the Royal Hobart Hospital with burns to 20 per cent of her upper body and face.
Thursday June 18
– Alleged, Assault of Minor. A man who allegedly punched a baby girl in the face at Central station on Thursday morning has been charged with assault. The 16-month-old girl was in her pram with her parents outside a cafe on Eddy Avenue, when a 28-year-old man approached about 11:30am. Police will allege the man then punched the baby in the face before fleeing from the scene towards Elizabeth Street. The man was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and was refused bail to appear before Central Local Court on Friday.
Wednesday June 17
– Sexual Assault. Two men of African appearance are being sought by police in relation a sexual assault in a reserve at Parafield Gardens. About 1.00pm on yesterday, the victim reported that two men approached her and sexually assaulted her on a reserve between St Alfred Drive and Ohio Court before and then fled the area. The first offender is described as a man of African appearance, mid-20s, tall, with dreadlocks-style hair down to his chin. He was wearing dark clothing and a black baseball cap. The second offender is described as man of African appearance, 20-30 years, with short black hair, wearing dark black pants, a short sleeved top with gold coloured patterned lettering on the front.
– Alleged, Indecent Assault, Break and Enter. Police have arrested and charged a man with aggravated break and enter after he allegedly assaulted a teenage girl on the state’s Mid North Coast. About 12.30am today, the man allegedly entered a house in Tuncurry through a closed but unlocked door and went into a bedroom where a 15-year-old girl was sleeping. It is alleged the man indecently touched the girl twice before she screamed, alerting her mother and the mother’s partner, who were asleep in another room. The man fled and police were called and established a crime scene. About 5.45am today, police attended a house in Tuncurry, and arrested a man. He was charged with aggravated break and enter and commit serious indictable offence. He was refused bail to appear at Forster Local Court today.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Sexual Assault. Barry Butler, 50, of Fairy Meadow, has been charged with inflicting actual bodily harm with intent to have sexual intercourse with a woman. The charge stems from an alleged attack in the early hours of February 24. The matter was mentioned in Port Kembla Local Court. Magistrate Michael Stoddart heard DNA and medical material relating to the case was still outstanding. The matter was adjourned to July 29.
– *Update ~ Historical, Alleged, Sexual Assault of a Minor, Bestiality. Leslie Dennis, 68, faces seven counts of aggravated indecent assault, four counts of aggravated indecency and three counts of aggravated sexual assault involving the child. The allegations date back to between 2004 and 2006-07. A further charge of bestiality relates to an alleged act involving Leslie and a dog in November, 2005, at Berkeley. Dennis remains in custody, the case has been adjourned til 29 July.
– *Update, Alleged, Domestic Violence. A Corio man upset over his girlfriend ditching him to return to her old boyfriend threatened to smash her skull in before threatening her with a knife, a court has heard. Justin Milner, 25, of Wirraway Cres, Corio, pleaded guilty in Geelong Magistrates’ Court yesterday to charges of intentionally causing injury, making threats to kill, criminal damage and assault with a weapon. Michael Brugman, for Milner, said his client handed himself in to police two days later and had spent the past 71 days in jail. Magistrate Peter Mellas convicted Milner on all counts and adjourned sentencing until today.
Tuesday June 16
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. Police investigating the sexual assault of a woman at a hotel near Newcastle have arrested and charged a man. The woman, aged 42, was sexually assaulted by a man at a hotel in Tighes Hill. Officers attended the location around 11.30pm and arrested a 65-year-old man. He was taken to Newcastle Police Station and charged with sexual intercourse without consent. Refused bail, he is scheduled to appear before Newcastle Local Court today (Wednesday 17 June 2015).
– Assault & Robbery. Police are investigating a robbery that occurred this afternoon in Acacia Ridge. Around 5.40pm, a woman was walking along Yandiah Street when a white Audi pulled up along side her. One of the men exited the vehicle and struck her in the head and stole her handbag. The men have then fled the scene in the vehicle. The 54-year-old woman was taken to hospital for facial injuries. Investigations are continuing.
– Children Approached. A young girl has been approached by a man in Auburn, and police believe it may be linked to a number of other child approaches in the area. Around 8.30am yesterday (Tuesday 16 June 2015), a 10-year-old girl was standing in a property on Dartbrook Road, Auburn, when she noticed a man standing in the property’s driveway. The girl alerted her mother, who approached the man, however he walked away from the property. Officers are closely examining the possibility that same man is responsible for two other incidents on Dartbrook Road where he approached another girl – a six-year-old. She was approached by a man outside a unit block on Dartbrook Road about 4pm last Thursday (11 June 2015). Police have been told the man grabbed the girl. When the girl screamed, the man ran away. Officers were also told that a man matching the same description exposed himself to the same six-year-old girl inside a unit stairwell on Dartbrook Road earlier this year – around two or three months ago. The man is described as being of Mediterranean/Middle Eastern appearance, aged around 30 to 35 years old, around 170cm tall, of medium build with black hair and an unshaven face. He has been seen wearing a t-shirt and tracksuit pants which were tight around the ankles.
– Child Approached. An approach to a 14 year-old boy at Koroa is being investigated by Police. About 7.40am on Tuesday, a 14-year-old boy was walking north on Hunter Close, Korora when a beige Toyota Landcruiser stopped beside him. The driver, a man, spoke to the teen who became afraid and walked away. The Toyota drove away onto Pacific Hwy.
– Alleged, Child Pornography. A 43 year old male primary school teacher has been charged after police allegedly found more than 7000 child exploitation images. Investigators, including QPS’ Child Protection Investigation Unit, allegedly found a laptop and hidden storage device with more than 7000 encrypted child exploitation images and videos. The 43-year-old Ningi man was arrested and taken to Caboolture Watch House. He was charged with two counts of possessing child exploitation material and one count of using a carriage service to access child pornography material. The man was granted bail on the condition he not have any unsupervised contact with children. He is expected to appear at the Caboolture Magistrates Court on July 23.
– Alleged, Grooming. A Thomson Football and Netball Club official who allegedly travelled to Brisbane to meet a 14-year-old girl for sex has stood down from his position on the club committee. It is alleged the club’s 47-year-old football manager, Shane Douglas Grapsas, was chatting to an undercover police officer who was posing as teen over the internet and travelled to Brisbane for the sole purpose of meeting the youth for sex late last year. He fronted Brisbane Magistrates’ Court in December charged with using a carriage service to groom a person under 16, 11 counts of using a carriage service to transmit indecent material and eight counts of using a carriage service to procure a person under 16. Mr Grapsas, who also served as one of two Thomson Football and Netball Club vice-presidents, was granted bail, with his case set to again come before the Brisbane Magistrates’ Court next month
– *Update ~ Convicted Rapist Released. A Gympie rapist who once lived out his sadistic fantasies on a 19-year-old woman will be released from custody under a strict supervision order. Nigel Patrick Robinson was deemed a dangerous sexual offender after stalking the woman from a shopping centre and raping her at knifepoint then indecently assaulting a nine-year-old girl in a schoolyard. Psychologist Professor Barry Nurcombe told the Brisbane Supreme Court he believed, but could not be certain, Robinson’s sadism was “in remission”. He assessed Robinson’s risk of re-offending while under a supervision order as low risk.
Monday June 15
– Attempted Abduction. A child was reportedly grabbed from the backyard of his home in the southern Perth suburb of Shelley, police say. Police said an unknown man jumped over the back fence of Modillion Avenue about 6:45am Monday and grabbed the boy around the face and body. It was reported he then took the child over the fence and ran away with him. The boy was found about two blocks from his home a short time later, police said.
– Child Approached. Police are appealing for witnesses following a child approach in Coffs Harbour on Tuesday. About 7.40am (Tuesday 15 June 2015), a 14-year-old boy was walking north on Hunter Close, Korara, when a beige Toyota Landcruiser stopped beside him. The driver, a man, spoke to the teen who became afraid and walked away.
Sunday June 14
– Alleged, Indecent Dealings with a Child. Members from the Southern Child Abuse Taskforce have charged a 35-year-old man in relation to alleged indecent dealings with two children.
Detective Sergeant Carmen Butcher said Police allege the incidents occurred on Sunday, 14 June at a residence in Alice Springs. “The man was arrested last night and charged with two counts of indecent dealings with a child under 16. “He was remanded in custody and will appear in Alice Springs Magistrates Court today.
Saturday June 13
– Alleged, Aggravated Assault. A 30 year old man has been charged for aggravated assault after he allegedly struck a 19-year-old woman in the face. Superintendent Daniel Bacon said the man allegedly struck the 19-year-old employee when he was asked to leave a business on Paterson Street in Tennant Creek at about 8pm on Saturday June 13. “Police allege the offender then stuck the 19-year-old employee to the face before fleeing the scene,” Supt Bacon said. The man was arrested on Wednesday and charged with unlawfully cause serious harm and aggravated assault. He was remanded in custody and will appear in Alice Springs Magistrates Court on Thursday.
Friday June 12
– Alleged, Assault & Robbery. Launceston police are continuing their hunt for a burglar who attacked a woman in her Summerhill residence on Friday morning. Investigators say the victim caught the thief red-handed in her kitchen.He then assaulted her and fled. The attacker is described as in his late teens, of thin to medium build with sparse facial hair and was wearing a dark hooded top, dark pants, white shoes and a black baseball cap.
Thursday June 11
– Sexual Assault. Police fear a serial sex attacker may be on the loose in Sydney following a sexual assault in Sydney’s CBD that may be linked to a string of other attacks. CCTV footage has been released of a man who allegedly grabbed a woman from behind and sexually assaulted her about 4am on Thursday. The 30-year-old woman was walking south along George Street in Haymarket, near the Valentine Street intersection, when she was attacked. After allegedly assaulting the woman, he fled the area. However, he then allegedly assaulted the woman again near Quay Street and pushed her to the ground. Police fear the man may be responsible for a string of unsolved assaults in Sydney. The man depicted in the CCTV is described as being about 20-30 years of age, 160-165 centimetres tall and of medium build.
Wednesday June 10
– Attempted Abduction. A Unanderra father of two has told of his horror after his nine-year-old daughter was almost snatched outside her own home last week. Lake Illawarra police are investigating the child approach – the latest in a string of incidents across the region – which happened in Albert Street about 4.30pm last Wednesday. The approach is the sixth in the Wollongong area since April 28 and follows incidents in Coledale, Gwynneville, Tarrawanna, Bulli and Thirroul.
Tuesday June 9
– Assault. Police are hunting for a man who slashed a young woman in the head with a machete while she was walking in Queens Park. The 26-year-old woman was walking along George Street at about 6.45am when a man got out of a car parked on the kerb and pulled a knife on her. The man tried to take the woman’s handbag and in her struggle with the offender, the woman received a cut to the head. The man allegedly took the woman’s purse and mobile phone which had fallen out of her bag in the struggle and was seen leaving in the car he first got out of. The woman was left bleeding on the pathway, where she was found by a passer-by who called an ambulance.
– Alleged, Indecent Exposure. An elderly man has been charged with performing an act of indecency after a principal allegedly found him sitting in his car without pants on and engaging ‘‘in a sexual act’’ near a Medowie primary school. Police have commended the vigilant and proactive work of teachers and parents after reports began to surface of a man acting suspiciously near Wirreanda Public School from March. On Tuesday a 1997 blue Toyota Camry was again seen near the school before police were called. By Wednesday morning, the car was seen near a laneway where children walked to and from school. ‘The principal approached the vehicle with the intention of speaking with the lone offender and it is alleged that that time the principal observed the male was not wearing pants and was engaged in a sexual act,’’ police said in a statement. The man was arrested and taken to Raymond Terrace police station where he was interviewed and later charged with wilful and obscene exposure in a public place and not compying with conditions of a firearms license. He was granted strict conditional bail to appear at East Maitland Local Court on July 6.
– *Update ~ Indecent Assault of a Minor. Police have released CCTV images of a man in connection to the indecent assault of an 11-year-old girl in a lift in Sydney’s west. The girl was with her mother in the elevator at a shopping plaza on Dutton Lane last month when a man allegedly indecently assaulted her. The girl told her mother what had happened after they exited the lift, and her mother contacted police. Officers from Cabramatta Local Area Command are investigating the incident and have released images of a man who may be able to assist with inquiries. The man in the images is described as being of Indian sub-continental appearance, aged in his 30s or 40s, 170 to 175cm tall, with a medium build, and dark hair.
– *Update ~ Historical, Alleged Sexual Assault of Minors. A man has been arrested over a series of historic sexual assaults in Melbourne more than 30 years ago. A 59 year old from Mooroolbark was arrested on Tuesday and is being interviewed over incidents involving underage girls in Mooroolbark in September 1982 at a home on Croydondale Drive, and in a park near Croydondale Road and Ellen Road. Police say he is also being questioned about a sexual assault involving a woman in her 20s in Lilydale in 1990 and 1991.
– *Update ~ Historical, Alleged, Sexual Assault of Minors. A former Salvation Army church member has appeared in Perth Magistrates Court charged with 10 historic child sex offences over a 26-year period. William Edwin Steele, 71, of Thornlie is accused of abusing boys aged 11 to 18 years, between 1963 and 1989 in Subiaco, Gosnells, Maddington, Beckenham and South Perth. The court was told he intends to plead not guilty and is seeking further legal advice. He will next appear in court on July 7. He has been charged with 4 counts of indecent acts, 3 counts of indecent dealing with a boy under 14 years of age, 2 counts of indecent assault and 1 count of aggravated indecent assault.
Monday June 8
– Alleged, Attempted Murder. A man has been charged with attempted murder after he allegedly drove a bulldozer in pursuit of a man before demolishing a house while a woman and her two daughters were inside. Police are expected to lay a total of 11 charges against the man including breaching an apprehended violence order, which was in place to protect one of the females who was living in the home flattened by the bulldozer.
– Sexual Assault. Police are appealing for public assistance following reports of two women assaulted in Chatswood yesterday, in two separate incidents. About 8.15pm a 29-year-old woman was walking home when on Archer Street, a man approached her from behind. Police have been told the man forced the woman to the ground and attempted to sexually assault her, before he fled the scene, south towards Chatswood CBD. The man is described as being about 20-30-years-old, 170-175cm tall, of average build, and possibly wearing sneakers.
– Sexual Assault. About 10.30pm, a 23-year-old woman was walking home from Chatswood Railway Station when in Iris Lane, a man approached her from behind and attempted to force her to the ground. The man threatened the woman as she struggled, before he fled the scene towards Anderson Street. The man in the second incident is described as being of Asian appearance and was wearing a t-shirt and jacket. Investigations are underway to see if the two incidents are linked. Police are reminding people walking home at night to walk in well-lit areas.
Sunday June 7
– Alleged, Attempted Murder. A man has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly stabbing a woman in a suspected domestic violence attack at a home on South Australia’s Spencer Gulf. Police were called to the Whyalla Playford property just before 9:00pm and found the woman with multiple stab wounds to her head and face. She was taken to the Whyalla Hospital for treatment before being flown to the Royal Adelaide Hospital in a serious but stable condition. Police arrested a 44-year-old man from Whyalla Stuart a short time later and charged him with attempted murder. Police said the man was known to the victim and warned that they would take every possible action to protect victims of domestic violence. He has been refused bail.
Saturday June 6
– Alleged, Aggravated Robbery. A knife-wielding man threatened an elderly Temora woman in her home before robbing her in the early hours of Saturday morning, police said. Police allege the 77-year-old was confronted by the 24-year-old man before he ran off with a number of her possessions. He was later arrested at another Temora address and taken to Wagga police station, where he was charged with several offences. The man was formally refused bail at Wagga Local Court on Saturday and will reappear on Tuesday.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Sexual Assault. A chess tutor who taught at schools across north Sydney has pleaded not guilty to indecently assaulting one of his primary school pupils. Miro Nowak has been accused of assaulting an 11-year-old girl on two occasions at a school in Sydney’s north in 2013. He was arrested by the Child Abuse Squad at Chatswood Police Station on May 12. The 57-year-old private contractor has worked for at least nine north Sydney schools: Curl Curl North, Seaforth, Cromer, Wheeler Heights, Mona Vale, Sacred Heart Mosman, Balgowlah North, St Rose Catholic Primary and John Colet School. He is also listed online as a Level 1 and 2 tennis coach in Sydney. The tutor appeared before Hornsby Local Court on Wednesday, pleading not guilty to two counts of indecently assaulting a child under the age of 16. He remained on bail and was next due to appear in court on July 22.
Friday June 5
– Alleged, Attempted Murder. A 24-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder over the stabbing of a woman south of Brisbane last night. The man fought with police after they found him with a 21-year-old woman in the front yard of a house at Beenleigh around 10:00pm. The woman had stab wounds to her stomach, arm and chest. Police said the pair knew each other.
– Sexual Assault & Indecent Exposure. A woman has been followed along an inner-Melbourne street by a man exposing himself, police say. The same man is believed to have pressed up against a woman and touched her inappropriately on the same night. Police said the man first exposed himself to a woman and her partner as they were sitting on a bench on Westgarth Street, Fitzroy, about 2am on April 5. The couple walked away from the man along Brunswick Street but he continued to follow them, all while exposing himself. He allegedly pressed himself against the woman and touched her inappropriately. It is believed he may have assaulted a third woman further down the road. He allegedly pressed himself against the woman and touched her inappropriately. It is believed he may have assaulted a third woman further down the road. Police have released images taken from CCTV footage of a man they wish to speak to. The alleged offender is believed to be in his mid-20s, with a slim build, light-coloured hair and may have a tattoo on his right leg. Police have released images taken from CCTV footage of a man they wish to speak to.
– Assault. A Sydney woman’s face has been cut in a bizarre skateboard attack on her moving car in the city’s south. The 58-year-old and her husband were driving south on the Princes Highway at Tempe on Friday evening when they swerved around a man standing on the road, waving his arms around. As the car passed, the man allegedly struck out at the front passenger window with his skateboard, police say. The window shattered, the skateboard landed on the woman’s lap, and her face was cut above the right eye. She was taken to St George Hospital for treatment. Police seized the skateboard but its owner remains on the run.
– Alleged, Assault. A Newcastle man who allegedly left a 64-year-old woman with severe facial injuries after she refused his demands for money in a supermarket car park has been denied bail. Stephen Smith, 24, appeared in custody at Bendigo Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday on charges which included assault with the intention to rob and criminal damage to a vehicle. Bendigo police Crime Investigation Unit Detective Luke Simons said the victim sustained “significant bruises and swelling to the facial area” as a result of the random attack. Mr Smith was remanded to appear in custody in Bendigo Magistrates’ Court on July 6.
– Alleged, Assault. Hundreds of people rallied in support of transgender musician Stephanie McCarthy at Newtown on Monday after she was bashed at the Newtown Town Hall Hotel on Friday night. Ms McCarthy said one of the males threatened to stab her before he and one other male king hit her, while a Town Hall security guard turned away instead of intervening. Her face was left bloodied and bruised by the attack, and she said that the Town Hall staff escorted her alleged attacker to Newtown train station before the police could speak to him.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Sexual Assault, Kidnapping. A Brisbane an accused of drugging and raping a German backpacker near Stanthorpe has been committed to stand trial. Peter Jonathan Van de Wetering, 47, allegedly lured the young tourist to the region after she responded to an online advertisement for a nanny vacancy. The woman, 18, caught a bus to Stanthorpe on August 13 last year where she met Van de Wetering. The Brisbane Magistrates Court heard on Thursday Van de Wetering offered her some chocolate that allegedly had been laced with the sedative Zolpidem. It is alleged Van de Wetering then took her to a farm house where she was restrained with cable ties and raped before being dumped in bushland. Van de Wetering has been charged with more than 15 offences including rape, deprivation of liberty, kidnapping and assault with intent to rape.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Sexual Assault. A North Queensland police officer accused of raping a woman on duty has had the charges against him dropped. Rudy Clarence Nonis and Trent Christopher Birthisel, both police officers from Mackay, were charged in February last year with sexually assaulting a woman while they were on duty. The Director of Public Prosecutions has now confirmed it had withdrawn the charges against Mr Nonis. Birthisel’s indictment was presented today in the District Court in Mackay. He has been charged with five counts of rape. Birthisel remains on bail.
– *Update ~ Historical, Alleged, Sexual Assault. A 43-year-old Queensland man appeared in the Perth Magistrate’s Court on Friday over an alleged sexual assault that happened in Ocean Reef nearly eight years ago. He was charged with one count of aggravated sexual penetration without consent. The cold case was reviewed by the State Crime Operations Team, which took a fresh look and a renewed investigation led to the arrest. Police alleged that the man started following a then 52-year-old woman as she was walking on a bicycle path near Swanson Way and Ocean Reef Road on July 8, 2007.
– *Update ~ Sex Offender, Bid for Release Rejected. Western Australia’s Chief Justice has urged a dangerous sex offender to keep “making progress” so he can one day be released from prison. Chief Justice Wayne Martin made the comment to 38-year-old Nigel Yates after rejecting his argument that he should be released into the community under a strict supervision order. Yates was declared a “dangerous sex offender” last year because of his record of offending which included crimes against a 15-year-old girl and bashing a raping a 39-year-old woman. He also sexually abused a 19-year-old woman a day after he was released from prison in 2003.
Thursday June 4
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. A 21-year-old Caloundra man will remain in custody after being arrested over a violent attack on a woman last night. The man was sporting a badly bruised right eye when he appeared briefly in Maroochydore Magistrates Court this morning on charges of assault occasioning bodily harm, deprivation of liberty, sexual assault and entering a dwelling with intent. Police will allege the man held a 21-year-old woman hostage while he repeatedly punched and kicked her face and body. Officers believe the incident occurred about 7pm yesterday in a Maltman St home.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A Wodonga man has been arrested after allegedly headbutting his partner through the window of her car. The man had been driving behind the woman in a residential area of Wodonga on Thursday night. She pulled over the vehicle and the man kicked the side mirror off her car and headbutted her through an open window about 11.30pm. The man was already on bail on false imprisonment charges which relate to a previous domestic violence incident. The man was arrested. He was remanded to custody to appear before Wodonga Magistrates Court on Tuesday.
– Alleged, Aggravated Robbery. A woman walking through a Fortitude Valley car park has been grabbed from behind and threatened by a man armed with a knife. Preliminary information indicates the 39-year-old Booval woman was walking through the Brunswick Central Carpark at 421 Brunswick Street around 7.30pm on Thursday night when a man grabbed her in a bear hug, held a knife to her throat and demanded cash. The woman screamed and struggled with the man before he fled empty handed and was last seen running towards Brunswick and Ivory streets. The man is described as Caucasian, aged between 18 to 20 years, 165 to 170cms tall and was wearing a grey and white hooded jumper and dark coloured pants.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Sexual Assault of Minors. A Sydney teacher facing more than 30 sexual assault charges against students has been granted bail. Cameron White is charged in relation to alleged assaults involving two 15-year-old female students. The 37-year-old from Eveleigh in central Sydney is a former teacher at the Peakhurst campus of Georges River College, a co-educational school for years 7 to 10. White faces charges that include aggravated sexual assault with victims under his authority, aggravated sexual intercourse and aggravated indecency. Police said the offences were committed on numerous occasions at Peakhurst, Sutherland and Oyster Bay between 2010 and 2013.
Wednesday June 3
– *Update ~ Alleged, Indecent Assault. A massage therapist will face court after alleged indecent assaults against two women. Manning Great Lakes police received reports from two women who alleged the male therapist, 59, indecently assaulted them while they were massaged at a Taree business. The alleged incidents occurred between March 18 and May 16 this year. Following ongoing investigations, police arrested a 59-year-old man on Manning Street at Taree on Tuesday. He was taken to Taree police station and charged with three counts of indecent assault and granted strict conditional bail. He will face Taree Local Court on June 23.
Tuesday June 2
– Alleged, Indecent Assault of a Minor. Police are treating three Kingscliff break-and-enters as linked, after two children were assaulted on Tuesday night. About 11.30pm Tuesday, a male intruder was disturbed at a home in Lorien Way, Kingscliff. He fled the premises and no property was taken. About an hour later, police received a report about an intruder at a unit in nearby Pearl St. At this location, police were told a man assaulted a 15-year-old boy. In a third incident, also on Pearl St, a male intruder was disturbed inside a home about 2am. At this location, a man allegedly indecently assaulted a 12-year-old girl.
– Assault. A 25 year old female was allegedly assaulted by two men in the Cavanagh Street car park on Tuesday night. NT Police are calling for witnesses of the alleged assault that happened between 8pm and midnight. Detective Sergeant Andrew Kren said the woman was walking through the car park when she was approached by the two men. “Following the incident, a passer-by located the victim in distress and contacted Police,” Sgt Kren said. “She was transported to Royal Darwin Hospital.” Both offenders have been described as being of Indigenous appearance and of a slim build. One was wearing a red shirt, long blue jeans, boots and a black shirt. The second had black curly hair and was wearing a white singlet, black shorts, no shoes and black sunglasses on his head.
Monday June 1
– Indecent Assault. Police are calling for witnesses in relation to an assault of a 24-year-old woman in East Side on Monday night. Detective Superintendent Brent Warren said the incident occurred on Stott Terrace in the vicinity of Sturt Street at about 11.30pm, 1 June. “The woman was walking with a friend on the northern footpath of Stott Terrace, towards Sturt Terrace, when they were approached by an unknown male. “It is alleged the male assaulted the woman and stole her handbag before fleeing through saltbush in the direction of Sadadeen Road. “The male is described as being of Aboriginal appearance, between 15 and 25-years-old, wearing a hat and a jacket.
– Alleged, Aggravated Assault. Mount Barker Police have arrested three teenagers after they allegedly knocked a woman to the ground and stole her handbag in Mount Barker on Monday night. Police were called to the robbery in the car park of the Mount Barker cinema. Two suspects were quickly located nearby in Daw Avenue, and the woman’s handbag was also found nearby. The woman sustained minor injuries during the robbery and Police are keen to speak to a couple in a four wheel drive who may have witnessed the incident. Two boys, aged 14 and 17 were arrested. Following investigations, police attended the Mount Barker home of a third boy, aged 17, and arrested him in connection with the robbery. All three were charged with aggravated robbery. Two boys were bailed to appear in the Mount Barker Youth Court on 23 July, while the third was also charged with breach of bail and was refused police bail to appear in court.
Saturday May 30
– Alleged, Indecent Assault. Charges have been laid over an indecent assault which occurred in on-campus accommodation at the University of Newcastle on Sunday. A 19 year old woman was sleeping in the accommodation on University Drive at Callaghan, when a man entered her room just after midnight and allegedly indecently assaulted her. A male friend heard her cry for help and helped to remove the man from the room. A 23 year old man was arrested and charged late on Sunday evening. He was granted conditional bail to front Newcastle Local Court on June 4.
– Assault. An investigation is under way following the assault of a woman in Brewarrina. Police say the 47-year-old was taken to hospital to have her injuries treated. A spokesperson for Darling River Local Area Command said the incident happened while the woman was at a party in Narran Street about 3.30am Saturday.
– Alleged, Indecent Act. Joondalup Detectives are investigating an incident in Ocean Reef in which a man approached an 18 year old woman and committed an indecent act. The man is described as being in his late 20’s with tanned pot marked skin. He is approximately 175cm tall, of slim build with short brown hair.
Friday May 29
– Robbery, Sexual Assault. Two armed burglars tied up and sexually assaulted a woman during a terrifying home invasion northwest of Melbourne on Friday, police say. Police say two men armed with a gun, disguised as police officers entered the house on Red Gap Road, Lancefield, through an unlocked door about 2am. The pair woke a 42-year-old man and a 36-year-old woman, tied them up and searched the house for money, a Victoria Police spokeswoman said. The spokeswoman said the burglars took the woman into a bedroom, then threatened and sexually assaulted her. The offenders were described as wearing fluorescent vests with the world ‘police’ on them and dark balaclavas that covered the bottom halves of their faces.
– *Update ~ Historical, Alleged, Sexual Assault. Kensington Detectives have charged a man in relation to an incident in January 1987 in which an 18 year old woman was assaulted. It will be alleged the woman was visiting the accused at a residence in Melville when she was sexually assaulted. A 59 year old man who was 30 at the time of the incident is due to appear at Fremantle Magistrates Court on 30th June.
Thursday May 28
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. Police investigating two separate incidents of assault on women in Boronia Bushland Reserve over the past two days are appealing for public assistance. Around 8.35am on Thursday, May 28 a 26-year-old woman was walking through the reserve towards Short Street when a male teenager walking towards her reached out and grabbed the woman. The youth knocked her to the ground, fell on top of her and struggled with the woman before running off when she called out for help. The youth, who was carrying a scooter, fled with the woman’s mobile phone.
A 39-year-old woman jogging through the reserve around 8.30am this morning was approached by a male teen carrying a scooter. The teen grabbed the woman in a bear hug and tried to force her into nearby bushes however fled after a struggle and was last seen running towards Fedrick Street, Boronia Heights. The descriptions provided to police are: Aged between 15 to 18 years, Caucasian, around 165cms tall with short blonde or sandy coloured hair. The scooter is described as either black or green / blue. The youth was wearing a blue and white hooded jumper with the hood up, three-quarter length shorts and a cap on Thursday, and today, was wearing a camouflage design hoodie.
Wednesday May 27
– *Update ~ Alleged, Sexual Assault. A Mackay man has emphatically denied raping his daughter numerous times over several years following the breakdown of his marriage with the girl’s mother. The man, 41, who cannot be named in order to protect his daughter’s identity, pleaded not guilty on Tuesday in the Brisbane District Court to rape and maintaining a relationship with a child. The court heard the offences took place at various times when the family lived at Howard, near Hervey Bay and Bundaberg, between 2002 and 2008. The girl was aged between four and 10 years old at the time. “She will tell you that her father raped her every night, or if not every night, then every second night, for a number of years.” “You will hear the girl say she was too scared to tell anyone at first because of the threat of physical punishment.”
Tuesday May 26
– *Update ~ Alleged, Assault. A drunk who randomly attacked a disabled woman at Unanderra train station and called her ‘‘mentally challenged’’ has had his court case adjourned to seek placement in a rehabilitation facility. Daniel Wayne Polley had drunk approximately 10 beers on January 9, when he lashed out at a woman with cerebral palsy, kicking her in the thigh and telling her ‘‘you are mentally challenged’’. The unprovoked attack was one of a series of outbursts by the 33-year-old, who had been hurling abuse at passers by when the woman and her friend arrived at the station around 7pm. Polley later apologised to the victim after a train station manager intervened, before getting on a southbound train and continuing to hurl abuse at commuters. He appeared in Port Kembla Local Court on Tuesday, charged with common assault and an unrelated drink-driving matter. The court heard the Albion Park Rail man had a history of offences involving alcohol but was committed to seeking treatment for his problem at a rehabilitation facility. Magistrate Mark Douglass adjourned the matter until July 7.
Monday May 25
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. NT Police are investigating an alleged sexual assault in Alice Springs last night. Detective Senior Sergeant Peter Dash said a 31-year-old female was assaulted at Billy Goat Hill at approximately 11.20pm. It is alleged the man sexually assaulted the woman before she fled and Police were contacted. The man is described as between 25 and 45-years-old, of Aboriginal appearance, 170cm tall, medium build, wearing a blue shirt and dark coloured jeans.
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. A man is due in court charged with multiple sex offences after a woman was attacked in Chester Hill earlier this week. Police have been investigating the alleged sexual assault of a 24-year-old woman on Monday night. Detectives arrested a 28-year-old man and charged him with one count of take and detain a person with intent to commit a serious, indictable offence, and four counts of aggravated sexual assault. A vehicle has been forensically examined. The man was refused bail to appear in Parramatta Local Court on Thursday 28 May 2015.
– Alleged, Indecent Assault. Police are investigating an alleged indecent assault of a 24-year-old woman in Alice Springs yesterday evening. Superintendent Brent Warren said the incident occurred on the Todd River footbridge on Undoolya Road at around 6.30pm. It is alleged a man approached the woman while she was walking across the bridge and inappropriately touched her. The man is described as being of Aboriginal appearance, wearing jeans, a dark sweater, running shoes and a cap.
– Alleged, Assault. A woman has allegedly been punched in a road rage incident north of Brisbane this afternoon. The 46-year-old woman was driving a motor scooter near the corner of Anzac and School roads, Kallangur, when a driver stopped on the road about 4pm. The 66-year-old driver of the car then allegedly punched the 46-year-old woman. It is unknown what sparked the attack. Police are investigating the incident but are yet to speak to the alleged offender.
– Assault, Robbery. A woman has been threatened with a firearm and had a number of items stolen during an aggravated break and enter at Parramatta overnight. About 9.30pm, three men, one armed with a firearm, forced entry to a home on Isabella Street and threatened a 51-year-old female occupant. They assaulted the woman before stealing personal items and running from the premises.
– *Update ~ Historical, Alleged, Sexual Assault of Minor. A one time carnival worker is facing prosecution for historic allegations he had sex with a 14-year-old girl. The man was aged 28 at the time of the offences, which are alleged to have occurred in 2008. The teen, whose family live in Orange, allegedly became pregnant as a result of the relationship which continued for a number of weeks when the pair travelled together with the carnivals to Queensland. The man has been charged with two counts of having sexual intercourse with a person aged 14 years or over and under 16 years at Dubbo. If convicted he could spend 10 years in jail. The conditions of his bail include that he is not to contact or approach the complainant or any Crown witness or any person in a domestic relationship with the complainant. The court has also ordered that he reside at an address in Newcastle and report three times a week to police.
Sunday May 24
– *Update, Possible Parole for Sexual Predator. A sexual predator described by one of his victims as a “monster underneath a charismatic exterior” could soon be released back into the community, sending the young people he preyed upon into a heightened state of fear and anxiety. Wood, who lived in Kiama Downs at the time of his arrest, confessed in 2011 to sexually assaulting the three males all aged under 16 at the time. While his two most serious charges carried maximum terms of 20 years in jail and a non-parole period of 10 years, his sentences were combined, meaning Wood could serve a minimum non-parole period of three years and nine months. His earliest release date is August 22. Although the three families understand Wood will one day be released into society, they want him to serve his maximum sentence of seven years.
– Indecent Assault. A woman was groped in Melbourne’s south-east by a man who followed her off a bus. The woman was travelling with a friend on a bus from Menzies Avenue toward Dandenong Plaza about 1.30pm on May 24. She stepped off the bus at Langthorne Street, where she was followed by a male passenger, with whom she had had a brief conversation. The man approached the woman from behind and groped her bottom. He was described as being in his early 60s with a scruffy appearance. The woman has told police the man had mentioned he was going to the pokies. Detectives from the Dandenong sexual offences and child abuse investigation team have released CCTV footage of a man they wish to speak to.
Saturday May 23
– Sexual Assault of a Minor. Police are appealing for public assistance following the alleged assault of an eight-year-old girl at a Coffs Harbour sporting ground. About 2.30pm on Saturday 23 May 2015, the girl was approached by a boy on a bicycle at Fitzroy Oval, Coffs Harbour. Police were told the girl was taken into bushland where she was allegedly incited to an act of indecency. Detectives from the Child Abuse Squad at Coffs Harbour are now trying to identify the boy who is believed to be aged about 12 years old. He was about 140-150cm tall with a thin build and fair skin. His hair is believed to be brown but was mostly covered by a hat. The boy was in possession of a pushbike.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. Alice Springs Police members arrested a 30-year-old man in relation to the alleged assault of his 29-year-old partner. He has been charged with assault and making threats to kill. He will appear in Alice Springs Magistrates Court on 25th May.
– Alleged Assault. A Port Lincoln teenager was arrested for an assault at a Port Lincoln football club on Saturday night. Police were called to the Lincoln South Football Club on Tennant Street at around 10.30pm on Saturday after reports a woman had been struck in the head with a pool cue. The victim received minor injuries as a result of the assault. The offender, a 15-year-old male youth from Port Lincoln, was detained at the club by staff and patrons and was arrested by police on their arrival. He was charged with aggravated assault and was refused bail.
– Alleged, Assault. A shoplifter has attacked two supermarket workers who tried to nab him on the Gold Coast. Police say the women spotted the man stealing something from the Southport supermarket where they worked on Sunday and decided to follow him, even after he pushed one of them on the way out. The man allegedly attacked both women before police arrived, and one had to go to hospital. A 33-year-old man is facing charges including attempted armed robbery, assault, obstructing police and stealing.
Thursday May 21
– Attempted Deprivation of Liberty. A 35 year old woman was assaulted shortly after running around the Carine Open Space. As she approached the footpath she noticed a man pull up in his car and walk towards her. As he walked past he grabbed the woman and put his hand over her mouth. She struggled and started screaming and the man ran off and got into his vehicle and drove off. The man is described as being 20 to 30 years of age, with fair skin, approximately 173cm tall, with a stocky build, dark hair and stubble beard.
Wednesday May 20
– Assault. Police are searching for a young man who punched a 56-year-old Howrah woman in the face when she opened her front door yesterday. Bellerive CIB said the woman went to leave her home, in Merindah St, at about 11.20am and when she opened the door she found a young man she didn’t know standing there. The man grabbed at her handbag then assaulted her by punching her to the face. The woman was not carrying any cash and the man dumped the bag and left. Detectives searched the surrounding area around Glebe Hill but were unable to find the offender. Police say the man is approximately 18 years of age, wearing dark pants and a dark blue windcheater. He has dark brown hair with a thick long fringe covering part of his face.
– Alleged, Aggravated Assault. A 43-year-old man remains in Police custody following the alleged aggravated assault of two people Tennant Creek yesterday afternoon. Senior Constable Carl Marcic said Police allege the offender attended the home of his ex-partner, a 33-year-old female and her current partner, 54-year-old male and became involved in an altercation. “Police allege the offender assaulted the man with a shovel and struck the woman when she tried to intervene. “The alleged offender was arrested by Police a short time later. The two victims received injuries to their arms and head and have been transported to Alice Springs Hospital. The 43-year-old man was taken to Tennant Creek Hospital to receive treatment for his injuries. Investigations are ongoing.
– Alleged, Recording in Breach of Privacy. Police have charged a 24-year-old Parramatta Park man yesterday afternoon following an incident at a CBD shopping centre. Officers were called to the complex at around 4.30pm and spoke with the man at the scene. It will be alleged that he used a mobile phone camera to inappropriately film beneath a woman’s clothing whilst she was shopping at the complex and unaware of his actions. The man was arrested and charged with making a recording in breach of privacy and is scheduled to appear in the Cairns Magistrates Court on June 5.
– Alleged, Indecent Assault of Minor. Police are appealing for information after a teenage girl was indecently assaulted on a bus at St Marys yesterday morning. About 10.15am (Wednesday 20 May 2015), the 16-year-old girl boarded a bus on Wilmot Street and found a seat. She then vacated the seat for an elderly passenger, after which another passenger left his seat and stood behind her. Investigators have been told the man indecently assaulted the girl a short time later, while threatening her. The girl pressed the departure signal and got off the bus on Phillip Street. The man followed the girl off the bus as she walked toward St Marys Railway Station until she arrived at her school and went inside. He remained outside on the footpath before leaving the area. The man is described as being of Caucasian appearance, about 40-50 years of age, approximately 183cm tall, with a black/grey-coloured beard and of a medium build. He was last seen wearing black tracksuit pants and a grey hooded-jumper.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Assault. Witnesses sought to March 1 assault in Civic. Two men who are potentially key witnesses to a nightclub assault in Civic on March 1 are still to be identified by police. As part of its investigation into an assault of a woman on the “downstairs” dance floor of the Mooseheads licensed premises in Civic, last month ACT Policing released the images of three male patrons. One of the men came forward but the other two (in the images) still remain unidentified. The incident occurred around 1am on Sunday, March 1, as the female victim was dancing with friends.
Tuesday May 19
– Alleged, Assault & Robbery. A Berkeley man has been arrested after allegedly punching a woman in the face and taking her handbag. It’s claimed on Tuesday night the 43-year-old woman from Lake Heights went to see her 44-year-old boyfriend at a Berkeley address, but an argument erupted after she arrived. It’s alleged she was then punched to the face and then struggled with the man when he went after her handbag – who wrenched it from her and drove off. Police were informed and caught up with the 44 year-old later that night, when he was pulled over for an RBT on Northcliffe Drive. He faces several charges including assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
– Lewd Act, Minor. Police from the Flemington Local Area Command are appealing for information after a man reportedly committed a lewd act in front of a 17-year-old girl at Strathfield this morning. About 8.15am (Tuesday 19 May 2015), the girl was walking along a laneway near Albert Road when a man approached her. The girl has told police the man was committing a lewd act at the time. The girl walked to school and informed the principal. Police were contacted and an investigation began. The man was described to police as being of Caucasian appearance, aged between 40-50 years, of solid build, 175cm tall and with receding grey hair. When he was last seen the man was wearing a white t-shirt and grey shorts.
– Children Approached. Police are appealing for information after two children were approached by a man in a vehicle at Norah Head yesterday. About 4.20pm (Tuesday 19 May 2015), an 8-year-old boy and a 9-year-old girl were playing together in the front yard of a home on Soldiers Point Road. Investigators have been told a man driving a purple coloured car approached the children and asked them to “get in”. The children ran away from the man and notified their parents who contacted police. Patrols were made for the vehicle but were unsuccessful. Officers from Tuggerah Lakes Local Area Command have commenced an investigation into the incident and are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
– Child Approached. Police from Eastern Beaches Local Area Command are investigating two reported incidents of child approaches in their command in the past week. Both incidents involved the same boy, aged 12, with the first incident occurring on Anzac Parade, Matraville, about 3.15pm on Friday 15 May 2015. The boy was walking home when he noticed a man following him and attempting to start a conversation. The second incident occurred about 3.30pm yesterday (Monday 18 May 2015) when the boy was walking along Raglan Street, Malabar. He told police he heard footsteps and looked back to see the same man standing behind him. The man grabbed at the boy but he managed to pull away, dropping his school bag and running from the location. On each occasion the man has been described as Caucasian in appearance, about 170cm tall and aged in his 60’s. He is reported to have pale skin with red blotches on his face and arms, and a bald head.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Indecent Assault. A 50-year-old taxi driver has been charged after he allegedly indecently assaulted a passenger he had picked up from Perth’s entertainment district. Police say the 22-year-old woman was indecently assaulted on a journey from Northbridge in the early hours of March 28. The driver is due to appear in the Perth Magistrates Court on Tuesday.
– Update ~ Sex Offender, Appeal Rejected. A West Australian teenager who forced a school teacher to perform oral sex during a home invasion has failed in a bid to have his time behind bars reduced. The boy, who was 15 at the time of the offence, was sentenced in the WA Children’s Court last August to three years and nine months in detention. He pleaded guilty to breaking into a house in the Wheatbelt region through an open window in the early hours of November 22, 2013 and sexually assaulting the 24-year-old who was sleeping alone. The now 17-year-old appealed his sentence on the grounds it was manifestly excessive and arguing that his minimum term of 22-and-a-half months was also too long. Both arguments were rejected by the WA Supreme Court.Justice Carmel McLure said the sentencing judge had imposed an appropriate punishment given the seriousness of the violent assault during the break-in, which had a serious and profound impact on the victim. The court also heard at the time of sentencing that the teenager had some remorse and empathy but there was scope for more than he had shown. With time already served, the teenager will be eligible for supervised release in October.
Monday May 18
– *Update ~ Historical, Alleged, Assault. Sixteen years after a woman was allegedly tied up and sexually assaulted in her Wagga Wagga home, police have charged a man over the incident. Police allege the man broke into the woman’s unit in Best Street in July 1999 and tied her up, before he sexually assaulted and robbed her. Taskforce Ostrov was established by investigators and following an inquiry described by police as ‘complex’, a 48 year old man was identified as a person of interest. Last Tuesday he was arrested and taken into custody, he will face the Wagga Wagga Local Court in early July.
Sunday May 17
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. Police are investigating a sexual assault which happened in Mount Barker on Sunday night. Sometime between 9.15pm and 10.30pm, Sunday 17 May, a woman was allegedly sexually assaulted by a man as she walked through a car park near the corner of Walker Street and Morphett Street. The victim managed to run in to a nearby business and police were called. The suspect is described as a man of Caucasian appearance, young in age, tall, with curly hair and anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers.
– Alleged, Act of Danger. A Canning Vale woman was run over by a ute after a fight at a petrol station in Southern River on Saturday night. bout 7pm a verbal altercation erupted between the 43-year-old woman and a 44-year-old man from Gosnells inside the Woolworths petrol station on Warton Road. The man, who was known to the family, was driving his Holden Utility away from the service station, when he hit the woman who was standing near the front of the car and forced her son to quickly jump out of the way. The woman was taken to Armadale Hospital with minor injuries but has since been discharged. The Gosnells man has been charged with two counts of committing acts or omissions likely to cause danger. He will front Armadale Magistrates Court on June 9.
– Child Approached. Police are appealing for information after a girl was approached by a man in Marayong yesterday. About 10am (Sunday 17 May 2015), a three-year-old girl was playing in the front yard of her house on Harrow Street when a man with a dog walked past the property. Officers attached to Quakers Hill Local Area Command have been told the man spoke to the girl for a brief time, before her mother saw the pair and called her over. The man continued walking along the street. Police are continuing their inquiries into the incident and would now like to speak with a man who may be able to assist in the investigation. The man is described as being of Indian Sub-Continental appearance, about 40-50 years of age, with dark coloured hair and was last seen wearing a long-sleeved shirt.
– Indecent Exposure. Police are appealing for public information after a man allegedly exposed himself to women in the Lismore area over the weekend. On Sunday (17 May 2015), police received reports that a man was seen exposing himself to women in Lismore Heights on Sunday morning. Police from Richmond Local Area Command are investigating the reports and are appealing for people to come forward with information.
Saturday May 16
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. Detectives have charged a 28-year-old Cairns man following the alleged sexual assault of a 19-year-old woman on early on Saturday morning. Police will allege the man, 19-year-old woman and another 20-year-old woman had been socialising in the CBD on Friday night before attending the man’s Westcourt unit in the early hours of Saturday morning. It will be further alleged the man subsequently sexually assaulted the woman at that location. He has been charged with one count of rape and is scheduled to appear in the Cairns Magistrates Court on June 1.
– Child Approached. Police are making inquiries after a young girl was approached by a man in a white utility in Sydney’s south-west yesterday evening. Around 8.30pm (Saturday 16 May 2015), a six-year-old girl was walking with her mother and one of her mother’s friends along Cheyenne Road, Greenfield Park. Near the intersection with Arrowhead Road, a white utility pulled up alongside the girl, who was walking a short distance ahead of her mother and friend. Upon seeing the utility stop next to the child, the girl’s mother and her friend ran towards the vehicle, prompting the male driver to take off from the scene at speed. The ute was last seen on Arrowhead Road. The incident was reported to Fairfield Police and officers are now making inquiries into the matter.
The vehicle in question is only described as a white utility with a ‘B’ as the first letter on its registration plates.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. Alice Springs Police have charged a 25-year-old male with assault after an alleged assault occurring on 16 May against his 20-year-old female partner. He will appear in Alice Springs Magistrates Court on 25th May.
Friday May 15
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A man has been charged with ten offences after a serious domestic violence incident near Mt Druitt yesterday. About 8.30am (Friday 15 May 2015) a 29-year-old woman and her partner, a 38-year-old man, were in a granny flat on Tapiola Avenue, Hebersham. Police will allege an argument occurred between the pair and the man allegedly assaulted the woman with household items. He also allegedly released gas from a gas bottle in the room and poured petrol over the head and body of his partner, threatening to set her alight. The 29-year-old woman escaped through a window and sought help from neighbours. Police and an Ambulance were called to the location. The man was arrested by police and the woman taken to Nepean Hospital for treatment; she has since been released. The 38-year-old man has been charged with 10 offences including throw upon person dangerous substance with intent to burn, possession of noxious/dangerous substance with intent to injure/commit serious indictable offence, two counts of detain, three counts of reckless grievous bodily harm and three counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm. He was refused bail to appear before Parramatta Bail Court today (Saturday 16 May 2015).
– *Update ~ Alleged, Child Abuse Offences. Police have charged a 67-year-old man in relation to alleged child abuse offences. Detective Senior Constable Alan Wellfair from the Child Abuse Taskforce, said Police executed a search warrant at a residence in Palmerston on Friday 15 May 2015. Items seized included computers and hard drives. The man was arrested and charged with: Sexual intercourse with a child under 16 years (x7), Sexual intercourse with a child under 10 years (x7), Indecent dealing with a child under 16 years, Indecent dealing with a child under 10 years (x8), Maintain a sexual relationship with a child (x2), Expose child to indecent material (x2). He was remanded in custody and will appear in Darwin Magistrates Court today.
– *Update ~ Historical, Alleged, Sexual Assault of Minors. A 66-year-old man has been charged with child sex offences dating back 35 years, Perth police say. It is alleged he sexually assaulted six boys, aged between 12 and 16, between 1980 and 1993. Child Abuse Squad investigators said the man, of no fixed address, befriended the victims by various means. He has been charged with multiple offences including sexual assault, aggravated sexual penetration of a child and attempted carnal knowledge.
Thursday May 14
– Alleged, Assault. A union member has faced court in Brisbane over allegations he assaulted a female construction site owner. Justin William Steele, 42, has appeared in the Brisbane Magistrates Court charged with two counts of common assault arising from an alleged altercation with the 58-year-old construction site owner. The Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union member is the first person to be arrested by a police taskforce attached to the royal commission into trade unions. He allegedly assaulted the woman at a construction site on Cordelia Street, South Brisbane, on May 14. Steele’s case was adjourned until July 8 and his bail was increased.
– Assault. A Melbourne woman has been stabbed on her way to work after a tussle over her laptop. The woman, aged in her 50s, was stabbed in the leg in a car park in Collingwood just before 7.30am. The woman is in hospital in a stable condition. A Victoria Police spokeswoman said the man, believed to be aged in his 20s, ran from the scene along McCutcheon Way empty handed. The man was described as about 175cm tall, with pale skin and a slim build, wearing a dirty white hooded top and smelling of body odour.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Sexual Assault of a Minor. A taxi driver accused of sexually and indecently assaulting a profoundly deaf schoolgirl has gone on trial in a Sydney court. The Crown alleges Osman Chamseddine, 64, interfered with the girl when she was aged 10 and 11 in 2009, when he was contracted to drive her to and from school in western Sydney. He has pleaded not guilty to four counts of aggravated sexual intercourse with a person between the ages of 10 and 14, and six counts of indecently assaulting a person under 16. The trial is expected to last between 5 and 7 days.
– *Update ~ Historical, Alleged Assault. A trial will go ahead on historic air force rape and indecent assault charges. A jury will rule on allegations a serving member of the air force raped a then colleague in her room on the RAAF base in Sale 24 years ago. Wayne Keith Raymer was on Thursday committed to stand trial on charges of rape and indecent assault over allegations he sexually assaulted the woman between January 1 and May 29 of 1991. Mr Raymer pleaded not guilty to both charges. Melbourne Magistrates Court heard the woman reported the allegation to an air force chaplain at the time, but that she and her parents were encouraged by the officer to “move on” if the woman wanted to remain part of the air force.
– *Update ~ Historical, Alleged Sexual Assault of Minors. A Christian Brother has pleaded guilty to 11 charges of indecent assault on boys while he was a teacher at a Goulburn Catholic school. But Brother William Peter Standen, 65, entered not guilty pleas in Goulburn Local Court on Wednesday to 15 charges of indecent assault of a male. These matters have been adjourned to Sydney District Court on June 5 for committal and sentence. He was arrested in August, 2014, at Sydney Airport following his return from overseas where he had been working as a missionary. He was initially charged with 11 counts of indecently assaulting a male but the number grew as more complainants came forward to police. Standen, who was in court on Wednesday, had his bail continued until his next court date.
– *Update ~ Historical, Alleged, Sexual Assault of Minors. A 95-year-old Nambucca Heads man has been arrested and charged with 22 counts of alleged child sexual assault dating back to the 1960s. In May 2014, an investigation began into allegations of child sexual assault involving four female children. The first known offence was alleged to have been committed on a three-year-old child in Marsden Park in 1962, and subsequent offences involving females under the age of 10 through to 1996. These assaults are alleged to have occurred in various suburbs across Sydney, including Schofields and Cronulla, and across northern NSW, including Scotts Head, Bowraville and Lismore. On April 2 detectives attended the home of a 95-year-old man in Nambucca Head, he as served with a notice to attend Parramatta Local Court on May 21, 2015 for the offences of assault female and commit act of indecency on person under 16 (x7), carnal knowledge (x11), buggery (x1) and aggravated indecent assault (x3). This investigation is ongoing, and police would like to speak with anyone who may have further information that may assist.
– *Update ~ Historical, Alleged, Sexual Assault of a Minor. Allegations of sexual abuse at a Canberra family day care centre dating back to the 1970s are being investigated by ACT police. Police have released few details on the case, but said their inquiries were linked to a family day care centre operating from a house in Curtin, and to a church in Curtin. The allegations relate to events between the 1970s and 1990s. The operation was established earlier this year to allow police to prosecute certain sexual offences allegedly committed between 1951 and 1985. In 2013, laws passed by the ACT Legislative Assembly removed the statute of limitations on historical abuse crimes.Police are calling for witnesses or victims of sexual abuse to come forward, with the promise that staff linked to Operation Attest will ensure victim privacy is respected and upheld throughout the process.
Wednesday May 13
– Alleged, Indecent Assault of a Minor. A childcare worker has been charged with indecently assaulting a two-year-old girl at a childcare centre in Sydney’s inner-west. Police were told another staff member saw the 24 year-old man indecently assaulting the girl as she slept at the centre on May 13. Detectives from the Child Abuse Squad at Bankstown arrested the McGraths Hill man and took him to Campsie police station, where they charged him with indecent assault of a person under 16 years on Tuesday. The man was granted conditional bail and will appear at Burwood Local Court on June 4.
– Indecent Assault. A woman has been indecently assaulted on the Esplanade after she was followed from a Darwin nightclub. Police are calling on the public for assistance after the 20-year-old woman was followed from a nightclub on Mitchell St about 4am Wednesday. “It is alleged the offender followed the woman a short distance to the Esplanade before he indecently assaulted her,” she said. She said the alleged offender is of Aboriginal appearance, aged in his 30s with solid build and about 172cm tall. He had medium length hair and a chubby face with bags under his eyes. He was wearing a dark blue polo shirt with white markings along the shoulder area and a logo on the right chest area. He was also wearing light beige shorts and thongs.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. Lake Macquarie police have charged a Windale man with assault and intimidation, after a domestic incident in the suburb overnight. Police say the 30-year-old began arguing with a woman outside a unit in Myall Street just before 10:00pm (AEST) Wednesday, and later allegedly armed himself with a knife. Police secured the area and specialist negotiators were also called in. The man was arrested and taken to Charlestown police station, and he is due to face Newcastle local court today.
– Alleged Child Pornography. An Adelaide teacher has been arrested for alleged possession of child exploitation material. Detectives from the joint anti-child exploitation team of the special crimes investigation branch arrested and charged the 54-year-old man from the southern suburbs. He has been granted bail and will face Adelaide Magistrates Court in July.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Domestic Violence. Katherine Police have charged a 22-year-old man in relation to the alleged aggravated assault and breach of a Domestic Violence Order against his 20-year-old partner. Detective Sergeant Luke Dalgliesh said Police allege the offender struck his 20-year-old partner several times and threatened her with an axe on 25 April. He was arrested by Police at a residence in Katherine last night and charged with: Aggravated assault, Breach Domestic Violence Order, Armed with an offensive weapon, Threats to kill a person, Threats to cause injury or detriment. He was remanded in custody and will appear in Katherine Magistrates Court today.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Child Pornography. A Broken Hill man has told a court he downloaded almost 15,000 child porn images and videos because he was curious about news coverage of the issue. He said he was disgusted by what he saw, but Judge Stephen Norrish questioned why Schipanski continued to download the material until he was caught by police. His barrister said Schipanski was a man at rock bottom, with historic mental health problems, but with prospects for rehabilitation. Judge Norrish said Schipanski had downplayed his understanding of the significance of his actions and expressed remorse only after he was caught by police, three years after his downloads began. A sentence will be handed down next week.
Tuesday May 12
– Alleged, Indecent Act. A 38-year-old man was arrested on Tuesday night after allegedly attempting to incite a lewd act in a public toilet. The man has been charged with incite a young person to commit an act of indecency and peep or pry. Police allege he approached a teenager in the toilet of Andrews Park, Wauchope shortly after 5pm. Police established a crime scene by taping off the area, with an officer standing guard until after 8pm. The 15-year-old alleged victim has spoken with police, and the alleged attacker was refused bail to appear in Port Macquarie Local Court on Wednesday.
– Alleged, Grevious Bodily Harm of a Minor. Detectives from the Cairns Child Protection and Investigation Unit have arrested and charged a 30-year-old Cairns man with grievous bodily harm following investigations into injuries sustained by a two-year-old boy yesterday. Police were called to the Cairns Base Hospital yesterday afternoon after they boy was admitted with critical head injuries. The man is due to appear in the Cairns Magistrates Court tomorrow.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Domestic Violence. Strike Force Romulus Detectives have charged a 40-year-old man in relation to the aggravated assault of his 37-year-old partner. Detective Superintendent Brent Warren said Police allege the male struck the victim and threatened her with a knife on the 8 April, the woman sustained injuries to her face and arm. “The man was charged yesterday with aggravated assault, threats to cause injury and armed with an offensive weapon. He was also served a Domestic Violence Order.” He was bailed to appear in Alice Springs Magistrates Court on 9 June.
Monday May 11
– Alleged, Domestic Violence (x3). Alice Springs Police have arrested three males in relation to domestic violence offence against their partners. Detective Superintendent Brent Warren said Police allege a 27-year-old man allegedly assaulted his partner on three separate occasions between the end of April and beginning of May. “Police arrested the male on 9 May and charged him with aggravated assault (x3) and issued a Domestic Violence Order.“He will appear in Alice Springs Magistrates court today.
“In a separate incident Police arrested a 17-year-old male for allegedly assaulting his partner on two occasions earlier this month. “Police allege he struck her several times, attempted to stab her with a pair of scissors, and chopped off part of her hair. “He was charged with aggravated assault (x2) and armed with an offensive weapon (x2) and will appear in court at a later date.
“Police also arrested a 22-year-old male wanted in relation to the assault of his partner last year. Police allege the offender assaulted his 21-year-old partner three separate times and struck her with a stick.” He was arrested by Police over the weekend and charged with aggravated assault (x3), armed with an offensive weapon and engage in a conduct that breaches a Domestic Violence Order.
– Alleged, Sexual Assault of Minor. A man has been arrested over the alleged sexual assault of a teenage girl at a home in Sydney’s northern beaches overnight. The 30-year-old is also being questioned over the alleged bashing of the teenager’s boyfriend at the home in Terrey Hills in the early hours of Monday morning. Police have been told the teenage girl, believed to be aged about 15, and her boyfriend, aged in his 30s, went to the home of the girl’s 30-year-old ex-boyfriend on Booralie Road about midnight on Sunday.
Saturday May 9
– Alleged, Aggravated Assault. Police have arrested and charged a 28-year-old male with Sexual Intercourse without Consent and Aggravated Assault. Detective Senior Sergeant Bradley Currie said the man was reported to Police on Saturday 9 May following a domestic disturbance. “The male was arrested and was remanded in custody to appear in the Darwin Magistrates Court today,” Detective Senior Sergeant Currie said.
– Assault. Taela Davis, 25, was walking near her Skye home in Melbourne’s southeast on Saturday, May 9, when she was grabbed from behind by a man. “I was walking through a cutting near McClelland Drive about 2.30pm when it happened,” she said. Ms Davis said the man then “spun” her on to her back and started to pull at her clothing. Ms Davis said she tried to run away but her attacker grabbed her by her ankle and pulled her back on to the ground.
– *Update ~ Convicted Paedophile Released on Supervision Order. Ross Finch O’Brien, 63, has convictions for abusing young girls while he was coaching them in the Little Athletics Program in the 1990s. He was also convicted of indecently recording two young girls, and sexually abusing one of them, in 2006 after he befriended their mother when she hired him as a computer repairman. Police later found more than 7,000 images and video files on his computer of children as young as three being abused. O’Brien has been in custody since the 2006 offences. At a hearing last month, the Supreme Court also heard there were “a number of outstanding felony warrants” for O’Brien in the United States for sexual offending, but no action was being taken to have him extradited. Lawyers from the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions did not oppose O’Brien being released under a strict supervision order. The conditions include that he be subject to electronic monitoring, that he not do any voluntary or paid work without approval and that he not access the internet unless he is supervised by community corrections officers. He must also declare “the formation of any domestic, romantic, sexual or otherwise intimate relationship” with anyone who has children under the age of 16.
Friday May 8
– Child Approached, Indecent Act. Police from the Far South Coast Local Area Command are appealing for information after a child approach and act of indecency by a naked man at Broulee on Friday. About 5.10pm, on May 8, a 15-year-old girl was walking her dog along a beach in Broulee. When she approached the pathway leading to Bayside St, the teenager noticed a man nearby in the sand dune committing an act of indecency. As the girl started to run away, the man stood and unsuccessfully tried to grab her shoulder. He is described as being aged in his early 40s and about 170cm tall, he was unshaven and bald, with tanned skin and hairy arms.
– Alleged, Child Pornography. Constable First Class Byron May of the Online Child Exploitation Investigation Unit said Police executed a search warrant at a residence in Darwin on Friday evening. “Police seized eight data storage devices and located an elaborate hydroponic system. Police also seized two kilograms of cannabis and steroids.” The man was arrested and charged with: Use carrier service for child pornography, Possess child abuse material, Cultivate a prohibited plan – cannabis, Possess cannabis – commercial quantity, Possess dangerous drug – schedule 2. He was remanded in custody and will appear in Darwin Magistrates Court today.
– Assault. Police have released a face-fit image of a man they wish to speak to regarding an assault in Frankston on Friday 8 May. In the incident, a woman was hit on the head with a piece of wood and then robbed as she was leaving Bayside shopping centre. Senior Constable Ken Howard, of the Armed Robbery Task Force, said the woman, 62, was walking on Ross Smith Av when the man hit her from behind and knocked her to the ground at 6.20pm.
Thursday May 7
– Alleged, Indecent Assault of Minor. Police have charged a high school deputy principal in southern New South Wales with aggravated indecent assaults on a female student. Police say a 14-year-old girl reported being indecently assaulted at her private school on two consecutive days last month. After investigations, the NSW Police Child Abuse Squad arrested a 50-year-old man yesterday. The man has been granted conditional bail on two counts of aggravated indecent assault and is due to appear in the Deniliquin Local Court on May 19.
– Alleged Breach, Domestic Violence Order. Alice Springs Police have arrested a 41-year-old man in relation to breaching a Domestic Violence Order (DVO). Detective Superintendent Brent Warren said the alleged offender was issued a DVO in South Australia for the aggravated assault of his 30-year-old wife. “Strike Force Romulus received information from the Domestic Violence Cross Border Intelligence Desk the 41-year-old man was in Alice Springs and in breach of his DVO conditions.” He was arrested by Detectives yesterday, was remanded in custody and will appear in Alice Springs Magistrates Court on 13 May.
– Alleged, Breach, Domestic Violence Order. Detectives have arrested a 32-year-old man for outstanding warrants relating to the alleged aggravated assault of his 24-year-old partner and breach of a Domestic Violence Order (DVO). Detective Superintendent Brent Warren said the offender allegedly assaulted his partner in South Australia in March and fled the state, with warrants issued for his arrest. “The male also had a full non-contact DVO issued to him by South Australian Police prior to the alleged assault, which was registered in the Northern Territory. “Strike Force Romulus received information from the Cross Border Domestic Violence Intelligence Desk that the 32-year-old man was in Alice Springs. “Acting on this information, he was located by Detectives at a residence in Larapinta yesterday, in breach of the DVO. He will appear in Alice Springs Magistrates Court this afternoon.
– *Update ~ Archbishop Pleads Not Guilty. Adelaide’s Catholic Archbishop Philip Wilson has pleaded not guilty to concealing child sexual abuse allegations against a paedophile priest. Police allege that between 2004 and 2006, Wilson concealed a child sexual abuse allegation that had been made against the late Hunter Valley paedophile priest Jim Fletcher. Court documents say Wilson believed Fletcher had indecently assaulted a 10-year-old boy in 1971, and knew he had information which might help with Fletcher’s prosecution. The case has been adjourned to June 17.
Wednesday May 6
– Alleged, Assault of a Minor. A four-year-old girl was innocently playing at Cessnock Library when she was approached and assaulted by a man. Police allege an 18-year-old man, who was unknown to the victim, approached the young girl on Wednesday, May 6. The man allegedly entered the children’s play area at the library and kissed and touched the girl before a witness challenged him. The incident was reported to police and Child Abuse Squad detectives from Newcastle investigated the assault. Police arrested an 18-year-old man over the incident at Cessnock police station on Friday. He was charged with the aggravated indecent assault of a child and was granted conditional bail. The man is to appear at Cessnock Local Court on Wednesday, May 20.
– Alleged, Aggravated Assault. Police have charged a 21-year-old man for the alleged aggravated assault of his 19-year-old pregnant partner. Acting Commander, Northern Command, Michael Hebb said Police allege the assault occurred yesterday morning in Lajamanu. “The woman was flown to Royal Darwin Hospital for treatment and remains in a stable condition.” The man was charged with: Assault person who suffers serious harm, Engage in conduct that contravenes a Domestic Violence Order, Armed with an offensive weapon. He has been remanded in custody and will appear in Katherine Magistrates Court today.
Tuesday May 5
– Assault. Police are searching for a man who assaulted and robbed a young woman – just to get his hands on an iPhone 6. Investigators have been told the thief lured the 23-year-old to a café in St Kilda under the guise of buying the phone, which had been advertised for sale online. The duo arranged to meet on 5 May at 7.50am.
As he neared the appointed meeting place on Brighton Road, the man, who called himself “Jeffery”, contacted the victim and she left the café and met him on the footpath outside. As she reached into her handbag for the phone, the man punched her to the stomach and grabbed the phone out of her hands before running away. Police have released a image of the man they wish to speak to.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Domestic Violence. A man allegedly carved his nickname into a woman’s forearm with a knife while keeping her as his sex slave for a month, an ACT court has heard. The 25-year-old man, who cannot be identified, pleaded not guilty in the ACT Magistrates Court to charges of rape, kidnapping, forcible confinement, assault and sexual servitude. Police said the relationship became physically and sexually violent, and that the woman was raped multiple times over a month-long period after threats to harm and kill her were made. The man is due to return to court next month for a decision on whether he will be committed to stand trial.
Monday May 4
– Alleged, Assault. A man has been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm after a road rage incident in Blacktown earlier this month. About 8:30am, Monday 4 May 2015, a 77-year-old woman was driving her Ford hatchback with her 58-year-old daughter towards Blacktown. It is alleged a 40-year-old man, driving a 4WD behind the Ford, sounded his horn at the car when it failed to proceed through an intersection due to safety concerns. The man appeared at the car and began hitting the passenger window and door before opening the passenger door and allegedly punching the 58-year-old woman in the face a number of times. The 77-year-old woman put her arm out to protect her daughter and was allegedly punched in the arm. On Friday a 40-year-old man attended Blacktown Police Station where he was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm x 2, common assault x 2, intimidation and menacing driving. He was granted bail to appear before Blacktown Local Court on Wednesday 10 June, 2015.
– Indecent Assault of Minor. Police are searching for a man who indecently assaulted a 14-year-old girl on a tram during the morning peak hour. The schoolgirl was groped while travelling toward the city on the number 86 tram about 8.30am on Monday. Police said the unknown man indecently assaulted the girl as the tram reached High Street in Northcote. The man is described as Caucasian in appearance, of thin build and aged in his 30s. He is roughly 175cm tall and has dark blond/brown hair parted down the middle and acne scarring on his face. He also had a distinctive lip piercing on the left side of his face and smelt of nicotine. Police have released a face image and CCTV footage of the man.
– *Update ~ Alleged Child Pornography. A Queensland drug trafficker who imported ice from the United States also stashed a collection of more than 56,000 child pornography images and movies, a court has heard. Robert David Craig, 44, was arrested in Highgate Hill, Brisbane, for importing, possessing and trafficking methylamphetamine in February last year. He pleaded guilty to nine drug-related charges and one count of possessing child exploitation material in the Brisbane Supreme Court on Monday.
– *Update ~ Alleged Child Sex Offences. Police have charged an elderly man with assaulting a teenage boy while working as an Anglican priest in West Australia’s southwest 30 years ago. The 83-year-old from Wembley is alleged to have indecently assaulted the then-15-year-old between January and October 1985.
He is scheduled to appear in the Narrogin Magistrates Court on Tuesday.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Assault. A man assaulted three women at an Ambleside, East Devonport, party following a dispute over music, a Burnie court heard yesterday. The Supreme Court in Burnie was told Michael James Bunch assaulted his partner, Charmaine Gardner, twice, her mother, Kathleen Gardner, and Charmaine Gardner’s friend, Renee Hayes. Mr Bunch pleaded not guilty to four counts of assault. The trial continues today before Justice David Porter.
– *Update ~ Man Pleads Not Guilty to Stalking, Intimidation. A Sanctuary Point man who allegedly used a 30cm chef’s knife to intimidate a female at Sanctuary Point has pleaded not guilty in Nowra Local Court. Mark Joseph Richards, 47, of Auster Crescent appeared before the Nowra Local Court registrar on Monday. He was charged with being armed with intent to commit an indictable offence and with stalk intimidate intend for physical harm. The matter has been listed for hearing in Nowra Local Court on October 7.
Taken from the Mackay, Qld, Weekend Wrap
Sunday May 3
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. Police arrested and charged a 28-year-old man from the western suburbs with aggravated assault and attempted kidnapping over the weekend. On Sunday, 3 May, police officers from Crime Gang Task Force, STAR Group, State Tactical Response and local patrols attended a house following reports of a domestic disturbance. Police arrested a man and conducted a search of the house allegedly locating a firearm and a cross bow. The man was charged with aggravated assault, attempted kidnapping, property damage, breach of intervention order and firearm and weapon offences. The arrested man did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody. He will appear in the Port Adelaide Magistrates Court on Thursday 7 May.
– Alleged, Recording Women in Public Shower. A 25-year-old man has been charged with a number of privacy related offences after police conducted searches at two Caloundra addresses where it will be alleged they located a mobile phone with a video recording of an unknown woman using a shower at the Kings Beach, Caloundra public toilets on April 29, QLD. He was charged with one count of observations or recordings in breach of privacy. He was also charged with two counts of observations or recordings in breach of privacy in relation to an alleged ‘upskirting’ incident at a Caloundra shopping centre on October 30 last year, and an incident at a Caloundra address on April 24 this year where a man allegedly videoed a woman showering in her home. The investigation remains active and on-going as further analysis is conducted of property seized. *Update ~ Appearing in Maroochydore Magistrates Court today, the man faced a total of 10 charges for a variety of offences, including an enter dwelling and commit indictable offence charge, after an alleged incident on April 24, when the man allegedly filmed a woman showering in her own home. The alleged offender was due to reappear on June 4.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Child Sexual Abuse. The principal at one of Melbourne’s top private schools has, for the first time, admitted the extent of child sex abuse that took place on college grounds. Nine Xavier College students were sexually abused at the school in the 1960s and 70s, according to principal Chris Hayes. Another six other former students are in the process of having their claims heard. Mr Hayes said no criminal convictions were ever recorded for the offences.
Saturday May 2
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. Detectives from Strike Force Romulus have charged a 23-year-old man in relation to an alleged assault and traffic offences in Alice Springs. Detective Superintendent Brent Warren said the offender allegedly assaulted his 21-year-old partner at a residence in Alice Springs on 2 May. The male was remanded in custody and will appear in Alice Springs Magistrates Court today.
– Aggravated Assault. Detective Superintendent Brent Warren said a 26-year-old woman was walking along the northern side of Undoolya Road at around 9:00pm on Saturday, 2 May when she was approached by an unknown man. “It is alleged the man assaulted the woman near the Will Terrace intersection. She has fled to a nearby business and contacted Police. “Police released a comfit image of the man on 6 May. The offender is described as being of Aboriginal appearance, approximately 175cm tall and medium build. He was wearing jeans, a white shirt and a jacket.
– Alleged, Kidnap, Assault, Torture. Ipswich police have arrested and charged two people accused of kidnapping a woman and torturing her for several days. Trevor John Hayman, 27, and Sheridan McGuire, 37, each faced a series of charges at Ipswich Magistrates Court yesterday, which included kidnapping, deprivation of liberty, torture and assault occasioning bodily harm. It is alleged the pair snatched a 37-year-old woman from an address in Ipswich and took her to a property in Woodend. Police will claim the victim was assaulted, tortured and threatened with weapons. The woman, believed to have been known to both Hayman and McGuire, was allegedly kidnapped last Sunday. Police were alerted to the incident after the victim managed to escape from her alleged captors and sought treatment for her injuries at the Ipswich Hospital. The pair did not apply for bail and were remanded in custody.
– Alleged, Aggravated Assault. Police have released a comfit of a man they would like to speak to in relation an aggravated assault in Alice Springs over the weekend. Detective Senior Constable Sean Aila said a 26-year-old woman was walking along the northern side of Undoolya Road at around 9:00pm on Saturday when she was approached by an unknown man. “It is alleged the man assaulted the woman near the Will Terrace intersection. She has fled to a nearby business and contacted Police. “The offender is described as being of Aboriginal appearance, approximately 175cm tall and medium build. He was wearing jeans, a white shirt and a jacket.
– Alleged, Aggravated Assault. Detectives from Strike Force Romulus have charged a 21-year-old male following the alleged assault of his 18-year-old partner. Detective Superintendent Brent Warren said Police allege the offender attended a residence in Alice Springs on Saturday and struck the victim several times with a curtain rail. “He fled the scene but was arrested by Police yesterday and charged with aggravated assault, breach of a Domestic Violence Order and armed with an offensive weapon.” He was remanded in custody and will appear in Alice Springs Magistrates Court today.
– Sexual Assault. Police are investigating a sexual assault that occurred on Friday 2 January in sand dunes at Goolwa South and have released an image of the suspect. The victim only recently made the report to police, who have worked with her to create a computer generated image of the suspect. The assault took place in sand dunes at Goolwa South between 6.30pm and 8.30pm on Friday 2 January. The suspect is described as a man of Caucasian appearance, about 180cm tall, with a stocky build, thick, muscular thighs and a suntanned, olive complexion. He has dark, deep set eyes, bushy eyebrows with a small bare patch in his right eyebrow, messy brown collar-length hair, was unshaven and has a distinctive dark spreader earring in his left ear. He is described as being extremely unkempt with a distinctive body odour.
– Aggravated Assault. Police are calling for witnesses following an alleged aggravated assault in Alice Springs. Detective Sergeant Jon Beer said it is alleged a 26-year-old female was assaulted by an unknown male while walking along Undoolya Road around 9:00pm last night. “The female was approached by an unknown male who then assaulted her. The woman fled to a nearby business premises who then contacted Police.
– Alleged, Stabbing. A man will front a Queensland court on Monday accused of bashing and stabbing an elderly woman in her home. The 71-year-old is in a critical condition in hospital with head and neck wounds after being attacked at her Hervey Bay home on Saturday night. It’s alleged a 20-year-old man broke into her home through a window and attacked her with a knife. Police say he was arrested inside the home and later charged with unlawful wounding, grievous bodily harm, burglary and breach of bail. Grievous bodily harm
– Alleged, Act of Indecency A 31-year-old man allegedly performed an indecent act onboard a train at Artarmon while seated opposite a 15-year-old girl. The young girl reported the matter to Sydney Trains staff who then called police. The man was arrested and issued with a Field Court Attendance Notice for performing an act of indecency towards a person under 16. He was given bail and will appear in Hornsby Local Court on 27 May 2015.
Friday May 1
– Child Approached. A girl was approached by an unknown man in Canberra’s south on Thursday afternoon, prompting police to urge parents to discuss the importance of “stranger danger” with their children. The student was walking home from Lanyon High School between 3:15pm and 3:30pm when she was approached by a man on Box Hill Avenue in Condor. The man tried to engage her in conversation, but the girl became frightened and ran to an oval adjacent to Charles Conder Primary School. The man followed the student for a short distance before leaving the area. Police have described the man as Caucasian, about 170 centimetres tall and around 30 years old with short, dark hair. At the time he was wearing a grey and black flannelette shirt with dark track pants.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A man charged with assaulting his former partner has been granted bail despite threatening to kill the woman if she did not tell the truth about alleged cheating. Prosecutor David Swan opposed bail on the grounds of the likelihood of the defendant committing other offences and of endangering the woman. He pointed to a criminal history including the defendant’s convictions for assaults as recently as 2012, and the contravention of a protection order in 2008 as further reasons not to grant bail. Duty defence lawyer Hugh Jorgensen said the defendant had fully complied with an interim domestic violence order obtained by the former partner on April 7 and wanted no contact with the woman.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. Another ex-partner of former Labor MP Billy Gordon has alleged he subjected her to violent and “controlling behaviours”, saying she was owed more than $20,000 in child support payments. The unnamed woman has also accused him of trying to convince her to remain silent. “He said if any media rings me or gets in contact with me, he asked me not to talk to them,” The woman is the second to publicly accuse Mr Gordon of domestic violence, after Kristy Peckham described him as a “monster” who acted violently and in a controlling manner.
– Alledged, Lewd Act on Train. A 26-year-old was arrested and charged with committing an act of indecency with person 16 years or over on a train overnight, Parramatta, NSW. He approached a 16 year old girl travelling on the train, sitting next to the girl before committing a lewd act. She walked away from the man and police were alerted. The Parramatta man was conditionally bailed to appear before the Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday 20 May 2015.
– Robbery with weapon. A Bundaberg woman answering a knock at the front door was assaulted and robbed at knifepoint early this morning. Preliminary information indicates that a man knocked on the door of a Cortes Dr, Thabeban address around 2.50am. A 39-year-old woman answered the door and was confronted by a man holding a knife before being forced back inside the dwelling. The woman was threatened and punched before the man fled with jewellery and cash.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Indecent Assault. Geraldton Detectives are seeking the public’s assistance with information regarding an indecent assault that occurred on Friday, 17 April 2015 in Bluff Point. Police say that at about 9:30pm, a 32 year old woman was walking along Railway Street before crossing to North West Coastal Highway through bush land when a man approached her from behind. The man pushed her to the ground and indecently assaulted her. The man is described as being 45 to 50 years of age, fair skinned, approximately 165cms tall, with a medium build, thick dark brown hair tied in a ponytail and facial stubble. The man had a tattoo on one arm that appeared to be of Celtic design.
Taken from the Mackay, Qld, Overnight Wrap
Thursday April 30
– *Update ~ Alleged Sexual Assault. South Australian Police has confirmed a serving officer has been charged with a series of sex offences he is accused of committing more than a decade ago. The man, aged in his late 50s, was arrested last night and charged with unlawful sexual intercourse and three counts of indecent assault. It was alleged the offences were committed in 2003 and 2004, in Adelaide’s southern suburbs. The man will face court in June. Police said the officer was suspended with pay, pending the outcome of the court proceedings.
– Child Grooming offences. A man in his 20’s, has been arrested and charged with child grooming offences, During inquiries where officers attended a home in Beaumont Hills, NSW. He was charged with: – Using a carriage service to groom persons under 16 years of age for sexual activity; and, – Using a carriage service to transmit indecent communication to person under 16 years of age. The man has been granted conditional bail to appear before Parramatta Local Court on 20 May 2015.
– Male domestic violence. A 26-year-old man entered a woman’s home and bedroom, allegedgly waking her up with an argument, then punching her to the face and choking her around the throat. When the woman ran outside for help, the man fled in his car colliding with a tree on his way home. A short time later he was arrested and charged with aggravated break and enter and commit serious indictable offence; assault occasioning actual bodily harm; common assault; stalk and intimidate; drive while disqualified; and drive under the influence of alcohol. He was refused bail and will be remanded in custody until his next appearance on 5 May 2015. The woman was treated in Mudgee District Hospital for bruising and swelling.
– *Update ~ Youth Group Leader Guilty of Molesting Minors. Michael Townsend has pleaded guilty to eight counts of sexual intercourse with a minor between 14 and 16, two counts of procurement, two counts of indecent assault, one count of sexual intercourse with a minor between 10 and 14 and one act of indecency with the sisters. The court heard a psychological report which categorised Townsend’s behaviour as being of a “predatory nature” but he did not agree with the assertion he was a pedophile. He will be sentenced on Friday.
Wednesday April 29
– Child Approached. Detectives from Murgon CIB have been doorknocking around Shellytop Rd, Durong today in an effort to find information about man who tried to lure a nine-year-old boy into his car on Wednesday morning. Detective Sergeant Peter Lunney said he believed the suspect was a local. The man is described as Caucasian, with a solid build, short brown hair and a scar near his left eye. He was wearing white rimmed sunglasses and a black singlet. The vehicle was described as an 80s series Toyota Landcruiser in poor condition. It was silver or grey in colour with faded paint in parts.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Stalking. Actress and singer Sophie Monk feared for her own safety as well as that of her family after years of persistent stalking by a Tasmanian man, a court in Launceston has heard. James Scott McCabe, 31, of Beauty Point, near Launceston, had previously pleaded guilty to stalking Ms Monk. In the Launceston Magistrates Court, Monk’s lawyer said her client received threatening, offensive and sexually explicit messages from McCabe over a three-year period. The court heard McCabe threatened to kill himself and Ms Monk, so they could be together. He will be sentenced next week.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Sexual Assault. A man accused of rape threatened to share a topless photo of his alleged victim before they had sex, a court in Tasmania hears. he 26-year-old man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has pleaded not guilty to raping a 20-year-old woman in March last year. The Supreme Court in Burnie was told he and the woman had been in a casual sexual relationship for several months, but a few days before the alleged attack the woman had told him she wanted to end the relationship. The man faces a second count of rape for allegedly forcing the woman to have sex a second time without her consent. The prosecution will sum up its case on Thursday morning.
Tuesday April 28
– Alleged Sexual Assault. Two men have been charged after they allegedly sexually assaulted a woman in Borroloola on Tuesday. The two men, aged 16 and 18, have been remanded in custody charged with sexual intercourse without consent, aggravated assault and stealing. The charges are in relation to the alleged sexual assault of a 32-year-old woman who was approached by two men while jogging along Searcy St about 6am on Tuesday. The two men will appear in the Darwin Magistrates Court and the Youth Justice Court on May 5.
– Teens Approached. April 27 a man driving a purple car stopped and spoke to a 13 year old girl waiting at a bus stop, he offered her a lift she declined caught the bus and reported the incident the next day, Tuggerah Lakes, NSW. Description: purple Ford possibly an older-model Falcon. The driver has been described as being aged in his 50s, with a grey beard and hair, glasses and was wearing a striped shirt at the time. April 28 A man driving a blue or silver four-door sedan pulled up to the bus stop and spoke with a 16 year old girl waiting at a bus stop. Police have been told the man then got out of the car and waited at the bus stop until the bus arrived, then left in his car. Police were not advised until later that night. The man is described as being aged about 50, wearing faded blue overalls and black work boots. He had untidy grey hair and wore his spectacles on his head.
– *Update ~ Former Teacher Denies Groping Student. A former Knox Grammar School teacher, Christopher Fotis is giving evidence after being arrested this month for failing to appear in February before the inquiry into historic abuse allegations at the elite private school. Mr Fotis, who was a boarding master at the school, has denied accusations that he groped a boy in his bed while wearing a balaclava in the early hours of November 23, 1988. Mr Fotis said he knew nothing about the incident even though Counsel assisting the Commission David Lloyd said the incident, “spread like wildfire” through the school the following day and he was one of four boarding masters suspected of being the culprit. “I did not know that I was suspected of this incident.” Mr Fotis was asked to leave Knox Grammar School in September 1989 after he was arrested for masturbating outside a school in North Ryde.
Monday April 27
– Alleged, Child Pornography. A man has been charged with producing child abuse material after an alleged incident involving a teenager. Police will allege a 49-year-old man filmed a 15-year-old child in a shower earlier this year, sparking an investigation. Moree detectives are remaining tight-lipped about the details surrounding the alleged incident, but confirmed the man was arrested on Monday. He was granted bail and has been ordered to appear in a Moree court in June.
Sunday April 26
– Alleged, Failure to Comply with Order. Detectives from the Special Crimes Investigation Branch arrested a 44-year-old man from the western suburbs this morning. The man was charged with four counts of failing to report child contact and four counts of failing to inform a parent/guardian (of a child with whom he had reportable contact) of his status as a registered child sex offender. It will be alleged that the offences were committed between the 1 April 2015 and the 23 April 2015 in the western suburbs. The man has been bailed to appear in the Port Adelaide Magistrates Court on 16 June 2015.
Saturday April 25
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A NSW police officer is facing charges of stalking and intimidation following a domestic incident in the state’s north. Police said the male senior constable was arrested on Saturday. He has been charged with two counts of stalking/intimidating with intent to cause fear, and resisting or hindering a police officer in the execution of their duty. He has been conditionally bailed to appear at the Ballina Local Court on June 4.
– Alleged, Breach of Domestic Violence Order. A 38-year-old man has been arrested in relation to the alleged assault of his partner and another woman as well as breach of Domestic Violence Order in South Australia. He will appear in Warakurna Court Wednesday 29 April.
Friday April 24
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. Officers found an abandoned car on Benowa Rd, Southport on Saturday with three flat tyres. Checks revealed the registered owner had a significant history as a victim of domestic violence. The find aroused suspicion from police who set about trying to locate the woman owner, reporting her as a missing person and launching an investigation by the Surfers Paradise Criminal Investigation Branch. On Sunday the woman was found safe but she was suffering multiple injuries from alleged serious domestic incidents with her estranged spouse. A 33-year-old man has been charged with assault occasioning bodily harm, using a telephone service to menace, obstructing police and a number of weapons and drug offences. He was remanded in custody and is due to appear in Southport Magistrates Court today.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A man is facing a host of charges after allegedly assaulting his partner before running naked through the Darwin suburb of Malak. The 34-year-old man allegedly harmed his partner, who had a Domestic Violence Order against him. Police eventually cornered the man hiding behind bushes in a yard at an unoccupied house, they said. By the time he was arrested the man had found a pair of shorts, Duty Superintendent Braam said, although police are uncertain where he got them from. He has been charged with breaching a Domestic Violence Order, breach of bail, breach of an Alcohol Protection Order and aggravated assault.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A 24-year-old man has been arrested in relation to several alleged assaults upon his wife in March and April this year. He has been charged with; Aggravated assault-harm x 2, Breach DVO – Full Non-Contact x 3, Fail to obey police direction to stop, Unlicensed driverExceed speed 15-30kmp/h. He was refused bail and will appear before the Alice Springs Magistrates Court today.
– *Update ~ Defence Employee Charged, Possessing Child Pornography. A 54-year-old former Defence employee has been jailed for two months in the ACT after being found guilty of possessing child pornography, some of which police said was in the worst category. Gerard David Falzon from McKellar in Canberra’s north was arrested in 2013 when police found more than 2,000 images and videos of child pornography on devices in his home. Falzon has pleaded guilty to possessing child pornography in the ACT Supreme Court. Falzon told the court he felt a deep shame about the crime. He said he had been attracted to the material for 10 years and had wanted to stop, but found he was unable. The court heard the majority of images featured prepubescent girls, and searches were found on his computer for 10 or 11-year-old girls. Falzon will serve two months in jail, with the rest of his 13-month sentence suspended.
– *Update ~ Sexual Assault Case Adjourned. Sexual assault and associated charges against a 36-year-old Toowoomba man have been adjourned in order for a court registry committal to be done. A registry committal is the process through which charges transfer from the Magistrates Court up to the higher courts. The man, who cannot be named until that process is officially completed, has not as yet been required to enter any pleas to seven counts of sexual assault and one each of attempted rape, deprivation of liberty and assault with intent to rape.
Thursday April 23
– Alleged, Possession of Child Pornography.
Detectives from the Joint Anti Child Exploitation Team (JACET) this morning arrested a 50-year-old man from the southern suburbs, for allegedly being in possession of both aggravated and basic child exploitation material. It will be alleged that the children depicted in the images are under the age of 14 years. The man was charged with one count of aggravated possess child exploitation material and one count of possess child exploitation material. The arrested man has been bailed to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on 3 July 2015.
– Alleged, Peeping Tom Caught in Act. An observant mum has helped catch the man believed to have been the peeping Tom who was haunting the Augustine Heights area. It is understood the first sightings of the man were in March, after a woman caught him looking at her through the window while she was in the shower. The Peeping Tom was apparently caught in the act again this week, when Augustine Heights mum of two Emma Creighton noticed a man acting suspiciously in the street. Ms Creighton said the police were called and arrested the man at about 6.45pm yesterday. Police said no one had been charged in connection with the incident as of yesterday evening.
– Alleged, Indecent Act. A 51-year-old Dandenong man has been arrested after allegedly acting suspiciously in front of children at an indoor playground in Melbourne’s south-east. It is alleged the man sat down in front of the playground at Knox City Shopping Centre and appeared to be masturbating as he watched the children play. Police said a woman noticed the man staring at her two-year-old son and immediately became concerned. The man was arrested just after 4:30pm and is being interviewed.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Sexual Assault of a Minor. A 70 year old Sydney man, charged with aggravated sexual assault and the indecent assault of a 14-year-old girl in Berry has appeared in Nowra Local Court. The man, from Warriewood, appeared before Magistrate Terry Murphy in Nowra on Thursday. He was charged with aggravated sexual assault and with indecently assaulting a person under 16 years. Police allege between 11.30pm on October 31 and 12.30am on November 1 last year at Berry the man had sexual intercourse with the 14-year-old girl without consent, knowing the girl was not consenting and was under the age of 16. He has been bailed to appear in Nowra Local Court on May 5.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Sex Offences. A teenage male charged with sex offences against a male child that allegedly took place inside a Darwin detention centre has appeared in court, the Department of Immigration says. The Northern Territory Police said they had charged a teenage male with sex offences against a minor.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Stalking. A Hobart man who allegedly made hundreds of menacing calls to elderly women living alone has rejected a magistrate’s offer of a partially suspended jail sentence if he did not put his alleged victims through the trauma of giving evidence. During a contest mention hearing last week, Magistrate Chris Webster gave Espinosa a sentence indication of six months’ jail, with three months of it suspended on the condition of good behaviour for three years. The 41-year-old father of three formally rejected that sentence offer and elected to go to a hearing. After Espinosa elected to go to trial, police prosecutor Gen Hickman told the court she would have to make arrangements for the elderly women to give evidence. Espinosa will be back before the court in May.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Child Sex Abuse. Police on the New South Wales mid-north coast have charged a 63-year-old man over historical child sex abuses, which they allege date back to the 1980s. Detectives made the arrest in Bonny Hills this afternoon. Investigators said the charges relate to two girls, aged three and six, in Sydney’s west in 1987. He was taken to Port Macquarie and charged with five counts of sexual intercourse with a person under the age of 10, and two counts of common assault.
Wednesday April 22
– Indecent Assault. Eastern Adelaide CIB detectives are investigating an indecent assault that occurred on Peacock Road, Adelaide on Wednesday evening. At about 6pm on Wednesday 22 April, a woman aged in her early 20s was walking across the tram tracks near Peacock Road, Adelaide when she was approached by an unknown man and indecently assaulted. The woman was not physically harmed during the incident.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Sexual Assault . An alleged rapist was on the run for two years before police found him hiding at a Townsville house. The man, now 25, is accused of raping a woman in broad daylight in Cairns almost 10 years ago. He was charged with rape on February 12, 2013, and last appeared before the Cairns Magistrates Court on March 8, 2013. Magistrate Howard Osborne granted the man bail on the condition he reside in Townsville, report to police three days a week and have no contact with the alleged victim.
Tuesday April 21
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. Central Gippsland Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team detectives have charged a man following an investigation into a number of historic sexual assaults. Ralph Laurie was charged with seven counts of unlawfully indecently assault a girl in relation to alleged incidents involving two female victims in Morwell in 1961. The 74-year-old Maryborough man faced Latrobe Valley Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, 16 April and received a one year imprisonment suspended for two years. The investigation by Central Gippsland SOCIT into the alleged sexual assaults remains ongoing.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Aggravated Sexual Assault of Minor. A 70-year old Sydney man has been charged with aggravated sexual assault and the indecent assault of a 14-year-old girl in Berry has appeared in Nowra Local Court. The man, from Warriewood, appeared before Magistrate Terry Murphy in Nowra on Thursday. He was charged with aggravated sexual assault and with indecently assaulting a person under 16 years. Police allege between 11.30pm on October 31 and 12.30am on November 1 last year at Berry the man had sexual intercourse with the 14-year-old girl without consent, knowing the girl was not consenting and was under the age of 16. He has been bailed to appear in Nowra Local Court on May 5.
Monday April 20
– Sexual Assault.
Police would like to speak to a group of men who they believe may be able to assist with inquiries into the sexual assault of a teenage girl in Heathcote on Sunday. The attack on the 15 year old girl happened shortly before 5am on Sunday the 20th of April in the carpark of a restaurant on the Princes Highway in Heathcote. The pictures depict 4 males who were believed to be at the restaurant around the time of the assault.
– Alleged, Child Exploitation. Detectives from the Special Crimes Investigation Branch today arrested a 44-year-old man from Hackham for one count of possessing child exploitation material. It will be alleged that the material was of aggravated nature in that it consisted of images of children under the age of 14 years. The man was bailed to appear in the Christies Beach Magistrates Court on 1 June
– Repeat Sex Offender Propositions Women. Dangerous Perth sex offender to be detained indefinitely after propositioning two women. A Supreme Court judge has ruled again that a dangerous sex offender in Perth should be detained indefinitely after breaching the conditions of his release order by sexually propositioning two women. Edward Latimer was the first person to be declared a “Dangerous Sex Offender” when new laws were introduced by the State Government in 2006. He was released mid-last year after a review of his case found that he had made some progress and the community could be protected if he was subjected to strict conditions. Latimer’s past crimes include a brutal sex attack on a woman at Perth train station and the attempted rape of an intoxicated man in a Northbridge park.
Sunday April 19
– Alleged, Child Exploitation. Detectives from the Special Crimes Investigation Branch have arrested a 61-year-old man from Firle today for aggravated possess child exploitation material. It will be alleged the children in the material are under 14 years of age. The man has been bailed to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on 26th of June 2015
– Alleged, Child Exploitation. A south-east Queensland scout leader has been released on bail after facing court charged with producing child exploitation material and indecent treatment of a child. Brock Emil Dittman, 30, appeared in the Ipswich Magistrates Court today on 26 child exploitation offences. Dittman was targeted in a covert operation run by the state’s Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC). He was arrested on Sunday when officers from the CCC’s criminal paedophilia team, Cerberus, and the Queensland Police executed a search warrant at his house. The CCC alleged Dittman, an active scout leader, had been using the internet to access and make available child exploitation material. Other charges include three counts of possessing child exploitation material, five counts of using a carriage service to make available child pornography material, and three counts of indecent treatment of a child under 16. Dittman was granted bailed to appear in court again next month on the condition he report twice weekly to police, that he avoid contact with the complainant and their parents.
– Indecent Assault. Alyangula Police are seeking information from the public in relation to an indecent assault on a 29-year-old female in Alyangula last night. Senior Sergeant Alex Brennan said the assault occurred approximately 7:00pm on Flinders Street. The man is described as being of Aboriginal appearance, thin, between 170 and 180cm tall, early 20s, wearing a dark hoodie over his head, was seen in the vicinity of Alyangula School, the supermarket, the Alyangula Recreation Club and the oval between 6:00pm and 7:00pm.
Saturday April 18
– Alleged, Assault. A young man has been charged after allegedly punching a woman across the face and causing her to lose consciousness in Sydney’s west on Saturday night. He allegedly became involved in an argument with a young woman he had not met previously after she asked to use his cigarette lighter outside the Major Oak theatre restaurant in St Marys on Saturday night. Police say he struck the 29-year-old in a backhanded swipe across the face, causing her to reel backwards. She hit her head before slamming on to the concrete footpath. Fairfax Media understands she had previously been ridiculed in the restaurant for her homosexuality. The 26-year-old man was arrested at the scene and charged with assault causing actual bodily harm at St Marys police station. He was released on conditional bail and will face Penrith Local Court on May 11
Friday April 17
– Alleged, Domestic Assault. A Sydney man has been charged with more than 100 domestic violence offences which were allegedly committed against a woman during an 18-year period. The 48-year-old man has been charged with 103 offences including solicit to murder, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, assault with act of indecency, intentionally choking a person, contravening an AVO, and sexual intercourse without consent. Detectives began investigating the man after they were called to a home at Leumeah in Sydney’s south-west in early February where a 51-year-old woman was found with serious injuries including a fractured leg and bruising. Police inquiries revealed the woman had sustained the fractured leg and bruising after she jumped from the first floor balcony of the home following an alleged domestic dispute. Campbelltown detectives spoke to the woman during the four weeks following the assault and recorded details of additional alleged serious assaults and ongoing abuse that took place during an 18-year period. This included allegations of ongoing verbal harassment, serious physical assaults and multiple sexual and indecent assaults. The man was remanded in custody to reappear before Campbelltown Local Court in June.
– Alleged, Assault. Three men chased down and tackled a man after he allegedly assaulted a woman with a plank of wood in an inner Sydney park. Around 12.30am today (Friday 17 April 2015), police were called to Prince Alfred Park in Surry Hills following reports a woman was seriously injured as a result of an assault. Upon arriving at the scene, police spoke to three men – who had been working in the area – after they apprehended a 58-year-old man. Police and ambulance paramedics also attended to a 43-year-old woman who had sustained a number of injuries to her head. She was taken to St Vincent’s Hospital, while the man, a Chinese national, was arrested and taken to Surry Hills Police Station where he was charged with wound with intent to grievous bodily harm. Bail refused, he is scheduled to appear in Central Local Court today.
– Alleged, Child Pornography. A man has been arrested at his home in Sydney’s southwest and charged with possessing child-abuse material. Police allege the 54-year-old man from Leumah used an internet site to share child-abuse files and upload images to the site, as well as post comments about children depicted there. He was arrested on Friday morning at his home where detectives executed a search warrant and seized computers, external storage devices and a mobile phone for examination. The man has been charged with one count of possessing child abuse material and was granted strict conditional bail to appear in Campbelltown Local Court on May 11.
– Attempted Abduction. Police are hunting for a chubby, older man who allegedly tried to abduct a 12-year-old girl in Darwin’s northern suburbs on Friday morning. The girl was reportedly walking along Gsell St, Wanguri 7.20am on Friday morning when she was approached by a man driving in a rusty van. The man asked her to get into the vehicle. The male is described as an older caucasian in his 60s or 70s with grey combed-back hair and a moustache. He had blue eyes and was wearing a light-grey singlet over a chubby build. He spoke with a deep voice and had red marks on his hand and upper right arm. He was driving what is believed to have been a rusty Toyota van with a cargo barrier and sliding door with no side windows.
– Sexual Assault. A woman has been sexually assaulted by the banks of the river in central Nelson after meeting a man in a bar. The woman was attacked after meeting the man at a Bridge St bar and walking with him down Riverside Rd, which runs alongside the Maitai River, early on Friday, police say. “The man has sexually assaulted the woman and then left,” a police spokeswoman said. The traumatised woman had been medically examined and was receiving specialist support. The offender was described as in his early 30s, possibly Maori but with pale skin and a beard.
– Alleged, Indecent Assault. Police have charged a man who allegedly approached three teenagers and indecently assaulted one at Belmont South on Saturday. A girl, 17, was fishing with her two siblings – a boy and girl aged 14 – at Cold Tea Creek about 1pm when a man approached them, police said. Police have been told the man spoke to the group, before the teenagers returned to their vehicle in a nearby car park. The man followed the teenagers and allegedly indecently assaulting one of the girls. He has been charged with one count of indecent assault of a person under 16 and granted conditional bail.
Thursday April 16
– Alleged, Assault. A man is in police custody after he allegedly stabbed a woman repeatedly in the back on a popular Darwin beach. Police were called to Vesteys Beach after a 48-year-old man allegedly stabbed a 47-year-old woman multiple times in the back about 1am Thursday. She is recovering in Royal Darwin Hospital. The man was this morning being interviewed by police. He is expected to be charged today.
Wednesday April 15
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. Detectives are calling for witnesses to a domestic violence incident in Hidden Valley camp on Wednesday evening where a 30-year-old woman suffered serious head injuries. Police believe the woman’s 40-year-old male partner can assist with their inquiries. Alcohol appears to be a contributing factor. The woman remains in Alice Springs Hospital in a stable condition.
– Alleged, Assault. Police are investigating the possible assault of a young woman in Manly early this morning. They are urging a man who handed in a phone and wallet at Manly police station at 6am today to contact them. They want to know where the man found the phone and wallet because they belong to an 18 year old woman who left a licensed venue on The Corso at 1.30am today and was allegedly assaulted after that. She was taken to Royal North Shore Hospital for assessment and an investigation has been launched.
– Alleged, Aggravated Assault, Breach of Domestic Violence Order. Strike Force Romulus members have arrested and charged a 40-year-old male with aggravated assault following an altercation in Alice Springs. Detective Sergeant Jon Beer from the Southern Domestic Violence Prevention Unit said it is alleged the offender assaulted a female at an Alice Springs camp on Wednesday night. “She was conveyed to Alice Springs Hospital and treated for injuries sustained during the assault. The alleged offender was arrested yesterday morning and charged with aggravated assault and breaching a domestic violence order.”
– Alleged, Assault. A 15-year-old boy was today charged over the alleged assault of a young girl on Mornington Island. It will be alleged the assault occurred on April 15, 2014. The boy has been charged with rape and will be dealt with under the provisions of the Youth Justice Act.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Child Pornography. A Brewwarrina man will front court charged with committing an act of indecency and procuring a child for pornographic purposes. The 19-year-old was charged following an investigation by Bourke child abuse squad and Brewarrina Police in February. “It will be alleged these offences were committed by telecommunications including Facebook,” a spokesperson for Darling River Local Area Command said. He will appear before Brewarrina Local Court on June 16.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Child Pornography. Kenneth Palliser, 62, is accused of posing as a woman on line then sharing links to the survey virus with eight high school students in 2010, three of whom were consequently exposed to child pornography. He is also accused of tweeting the virus under the alias Ian Sanderson. The Mitcham man has pleaded not guilty to eight charges including using a carriage service to transmit child pornography, and denies knowing there was child porn on his computer. Prosecutor Colin Mandy told the jury Palliser had a tendency to confront people with child pornography on a large scale, having pleaded guilty to child porn offences in 2006. Palliser admitted to taking hundreds of child porn images to six Victorian shopping centres and hiding them in shelves, books, Christmas cards, shoes boxes and other products. Mr Papas said Palliser’s 2006 offending was significantly different to the present charges because he had distributed child pornography physically, not electronically. In his police interview for the 2010 charges, Palliser said his computer may have been hacked. The trial is expected to last 10 days before County Court judge Gabriele Cannon.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Domestic Violence. Former AFL player Nick Stevens will call three witnesses in his defence as he fights his jail sentence for bashing and threatening to kill a woman he used to date. The 35-year-old former Carlton and Port Adelaide midfielder is appealing his conviction for 12 charges of abusing his ex-girlfriend, including inflicting serious injury and making threats to kill, and his eight-month prison term. Victorian County Court Judge Lisa Hannan extended Stevens’ bail on Wednesday as he faced the court ahead of his five-day appeal hearing in October.
Tuesday April 14
– Alleged, Domestic Violence, Breach of Domestic Violence Order. Police have charged a 36-year-old man following an alleged alcohol fuelled domestic violence incident in Alice Springs last night. Detective Superintendent Brent Warren said South Australian Police had previously issued the offender with a full non-contact Domestic Violence Order (DVO) against his 34-year-old former partner. In an effort to ensure the safety of the former partner, the DVO was then registered in the Northern Territory. Police allege the offender approached her at a residence in Braitling at around 11pm. Police responded to the incident and he was arrested for breaching his DVO.
– Alleged, Road Rage Incident. A man will front a Gold Coast court later this month charged with ramming a woman’s car in a terrifying road rage attack on the Pacific Highway. Police say the man drove onto the highway at Mudgeeraba and roared up behind the woman’s four-wheel drive before ramming it twice on Tuesday afternoon. The woman, 40, tried to move lanes to get away but it’s alleged the other driver followed her. The accused driver ultimately exited the highway, leaving the woman shaken by the roadside. A 21-year-old Helensvale man has been charged with dangerous driving, and failing the duties of a driver involved in a crash. He’ll face the Southport Magistrates Court on April 28.
– Attempted Abduction. Police are hunting a man after a teenager was approached at Pottsville on the Northern NSW coast yesterday morning. The 16-year-old girl was sitting at a bus stop at 10.45am on Tweed Coast Rd when she was approached by a man in his late 30s to early 40s in a maroon 4WD. Tweed Heads Detective Inspector Brendon Cullen said the man attempted to grab the girl when she fled. The man is described as caucasian, 175cm tall, well built and sporting a full face beard that is browny red in colour. He was driving an older style dark maroon 4WD
– Indecent Assault. Police are looking for a man who unlawfully entered a residence in The Gap at around 1am yesterday and indecently assaulted a 30-year-old woman as she slept. Detective Sergeant Joedy Kitchen says the woman woke and the male fled the premises with a quantity of cash. The alleged perpetrator “is described as being of Aboriginal appearance, slim build, approximately 158cm tall and was wearing a baseball styled cap and white runners.”
– Indecent Behaviour. Police are investigating a report of indecent behaviour at Parafield Gardens yesterday. At about 12.30pm, the female victim was walking along Stirling Street when a man in a dark blue Holden Commodore sedan stopped near her and the man offered the victim a lift. She then saw that the man was behaving indecently. The victim was not injured or approached by the man.
– Alleged, Indecent Exposure. Detectives yesterday charged a 61-year-old Mooroobool man with two counts of indecent treatment of a child under 16. At about 5pm yesterday, it’s alleged the man approached two girls aged 10 and 12 who were swimming at Chinaman Creek, Mooroobool when the man disrobed exposing himself to the girls. It will be further alleged the man entered the water with the girls before making inappropriate comments. The girls fled and alerted authorities. The man is due to appear in the Cairns Magistrates Court today.
– Alleged, Break and Enter. A woman returned home to find a man inside her Balliang bedroom after meeting him online. Moorabool Crime Investigation Unit detectives said the woman met the man online and agreed to see him at her home about 11pm Tuesday. They said shortly after the man arrived, the woman received a text message cutting the meeting short and both parties drove away from the home in different directions. As she was driving away, she noticed the man turn around and drive back to her house. She immediately returned home to find the man’s car at the rear of the house and he had gained entry via a window. Police said when the victim entered her house she found the man inside her bedroom.
Monday April 13
– Upskirting. Officers from the Police Transport Command have released images of two females who may have witnessed an alleged ‘upskirting’ incident on a Sydney train in April. On the afternoon of Monday 13 April 2015, a man travelling on a train from Penrith to Redfern was allegedly using a smartphone to film up a female passenger’s skirt. Officers from the Police Transport Command were notified of the incident and commenced an investigation into the matter.
– Indecent Assault of a Minor. Police are hunting a man who indecently assaulted a six-year-old girl in the south west Sydney suburb of Cabramatta. The girl has had a narrow escape after being attacked by a sexual predator in Sydney’s southwest. The girl was riding her bicycle inside the grounds of an apartment complex in yesterday afternoon with her eight-year-old brother when a man approached her. The man called the girl to come over to him and took her to the rear of the building. Witnesses told police the man touched the girl and then took his pants off. A neighbour saw the man acting suspiciously and yelled out, the man fled the scene.
– Alleged, Exploitation, Indecent Assault of Minors . A Warwick man has been charged over the exploitation of 28 children, 5 of whom were allegedly raped. Police believe there may be more victims. The 47-year-old man, who is facing 145 child sex charges, allegedly offered the children money or services via social media to entice them to meet him and perform sexual acts. He is accused of coercing victims to send indecent images and in some cases met them in a hotel room where they were indecently assaulted. Charges included five counts of rape, four counts of indecent treatment of children under 16, and 20 counts of involving children in making child exploitation material.
– Child Approached, Unsubstantiated. About 10.40am, an eight-year-old girl was at a supermarket on Belgrave Street at Kempsey with her grandmother, when she was approached by an unknown man. Investigators have been told the man spoke briefly with the girl before attempting to hug her. The girl pushed the man away and the man left the location a short time later. Officers attached to Mid North Coast Local Area Command were alerted to the incident and launched an investigation. Following inquiries, police have found the child approach report to be unsubstantiated and do not believe the incident occurred.
– Alleged, Obscene Exposure. A 28 year old man will face court after being charged with exposing himself at a university and train stations across Sydney including at Fairfield. Officers arrested the Camperdown man yesterday at Cabramatta train station after he allegedly exposed himself to a number of women at Fairfield train station at 11.45am. Police will also allege that on Tuesday afternoon, the man walked onto the grounds of Sydney University and exposed himself to a number of people. It is also alleged that at 8.05am yesterday (14th April), the man exposed himself to two women on a train near Dulwich Hill train station. The man has been charged with two counts of an act of indecency, four counts of wilful and obscene exposure and travelling without a valid ticket. He was refused bail and will appear before Liverpool Local Court later today.
Sunday April 12
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A man has intervened when he saw another man allegedly assaulting a woman inside the Cairns cemetery he decided to take action. Despite being more than 50 years older than the alleged offender, Colin Fryer intervened as the man allegedly held the woman on the ground and hit her. In the fracas he allegedly copped a strike with a two-litre water bottle to the face and several punches, leaving him with a black eye. He said the man was taken into custody by officers. The 23-year-old man appeared in Cairns Magistrates Court on Monday. He was granted bail and the case was adjourned.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A man will appear in court over alleged firearm and assault offences after he was arrested at a home in Milperra. Police were called to a home after reports of a domestic incident, it is alleged he assaulted a woman earlier in the evening. After speaking with the man they searched the home and found a .22 calibre rifle. He was charged with possessing an unauthorised firearm and common assault. He was granted conditional bail, to appear at Bankstown Local Court next month.
Saturday April 11
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. Detectives have charged a 38-year-old man over the violent sexual assault of a woman in the Perth CBD. It is alleged the man spoke to a 29-year-old woman before punching her on the back of the head and then sexually assaulting her. The 38-year-old Belmont man was arrested on Friday and remanded in custody. He has been charged with two counts of sexual penetration without consent and two counts of assault occasioning bodily harm.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. The hotelier son of well-known businessman Mark Bouris has faced court charged with assaulting his model girlfriend. One-time Cleo Bachelor of the year finalist Dane Bouris, 33, appeared at Waverley local court yesterday where he entered a plea of not guilty for assault occasioning actual bodily harm, after allegedly assaulting his girlfriend Alexandra Dankwa at a home in Watsons Bay late on Saturday night. Bail was granted.
– Attempted Abduction. An attempted child abduction at Metford has prompted police to remind families to educate their children about the safe people, safe places message. A man approached three children who were walking along Schanck Drive about 1.45pm on Saturday. Police said the man, who was driving a vehicle at the time, approached a 10-year-old girl, her eight-year-old brother and their eight-year-old friend. The man asked the girl to get into his vehicle, but she refused and the man left the scene. The girl immediately told her mother about the incident and she called Maitland police.
Friday April 10
– Alleged, Indecent Assault. A 20-year-old Deer Park man has been charged over a series of indecent assaults in Melbourne’s south-east last weekend. Harmandeep Singh was arrested on Saturday afternoon and charged with three counts of indecent assault, one count of attempted indecent assault and one count of unlawful assault over the broad daylight attacks in Notting Hill. The alleged indecent assaults of three women occurred in the vicinity of Blackburn and Normanby roads on Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons. In each instance the man began chatting with the women before asking them to take a photograph of him with his mobile phone. Police allege he then indecently assaulted them. Singh appeared before an out of sessions hearing on Saturday and was remanded in custody to appear in Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Sunday.
– Alleged, Sexual Assault of Minors. A Senior Townsville soldier accused of sexually abusing two girls has been granted bail. The 47-year-old man appeared in the Townsville Magistrates Court yesterday afternoon. He faces 26 charges, including numerous counts of indecent treatment of children under 16 and sexual assault. He was granted bail on the condition that he have no contact with the children.
Thursday April 9
– Alleged, Aggravated Sexual Assault. A third man has been arrested and charged over the alleged sexual assault of three teenage girls in Woolgoolga on February 5th. Investigators attached to Coffs/Clarence Local Area Command commenced Strike Force Mediata after two 16-year-old girls and a 15-year-old girl reported being allegedly sexually assaulted by three men at a Woolgoolga address on Thursday, February 5. Two men, aged 22 and 24, were arrested by police and charged over the incident. Bail was refused.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. Strike Force Romulus Detectives have arrested seven people following a two day operation targeting domestic and family violence in Alice Springs. Detective Superintendent Brent Warren said Police conducted the operation on 9 and 10 April to specifically target domestic violence offenders and to reinforce the message domestic violence will not be tolerated. “The seven people arrested were charged with a range of offences including aggravated assault, breach of Domestic Violence Order, breach of bail and outstanding warrants. Police also conducted 31 Domestic Violence Order and Alcohol Protection Order compliance checks, served seven Domestic Violence Orders, issued two summons notices and took four people into protective custody.
In a separate incident Police arrested a 19-year-old male on Saturday after he allegedly assaulted his pregnant 20-year-old partner in Alice Springs CBD.” He was charged with aggravated assault and served a Domestic Violence Order.
Wednesday April 8
– Assault. A woman has fought off a man who viciously attacked her while she walked her dog in Melbourne’s inner-east, police say. The 31-year-old was walking along Stewart Street, Prahran, about 6.15pm on Wednesday when a man jumped out from an apartment building’s rubbish bin storage area. “The man grabbed the woman, pinned her against the bins and punched her. The woman fought back, kneeing the man several times in the groin area,” the police spokeswoman said. “The man doubled over and the woman ran off.” The victim, from Windsor, sustained a broken nose, grazes and bruises in the attack. She described the attacker as a Caucasian man, aged in his late 20s, about 180 centimetres tall and with a slim build. He was wearing jeans and a black hooded jumper.
Tuesday April 7
– Robbery, Indecent Assault. Police are looking for a man who allegedly robbed and assaulted a woman after he offered her a lift in Sydney’s inner west. The man allegedly stole cash from the 43-year-old woman’s handbag shortly after she hopped into the car, he then stopped the car and propositioned her before indecently assaulting her. The car he was driving is described as a light-coloured sedan with a number plate similar to BFW048.
Monday April 6
– Alleged, Assault. A 29-year-old woman was attacked by a man who stole items from a store on Bussell Highway in West Busselton. Police have charged a 34-year-old Waterman’s Bay man with one count of stealing and assault occasioning bodily harm. Jason Salat, has since been placed into psychiatric care.
– Alleged, Possession of Child Abuse Material. A man has been charged with possession of child abuse material after leaving his mobile phone in a friend’s car yesterday. Police will allege a woman attended Lake Illawarra Police Station in possession of a mobile phone that allegedly contained child abuse material. Officers viewed a number of images on the phone before attending a home on Hillside Drive, Albion Park where they arrested a 29-year-old man. He was taken to Lake Illawarra Police Station where he was charged with possess child abuse material. He was given conditional bail and will appear in Albion Park Local Court on 29 April, 2014.
Sunday April 5
– Alleged, Assault. A man has been charged after a woman was stabbed in the back in Brisbane’s southwest. The 42-year-old is accused of stabbing the woman during a fight at an Inala property on Sunday night. The 23-year-old woman was taken to Princess Alexandra Hospital with serious injuries. The man has been charged with assault occasioning bodily harm and grievous bodily harm.
– Alleged, False Imprisonment. A knife-wielding man accused of holding a woman hostage in a Melbourne restaurant may have started the lengthy siege because he was a disgruntled former employee. Abijath Desikan has been charged with false imprisonment, armed robbery and assault with a weapon. The 35-year-old, of no fixed address, has been remanded in custody to appear in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Tuesday. The woman, from Port Melbourne, was checked by paramedics at the scene and was not physically injured. But Inspector McCarthy added it would have been traumatic for her to be held hostage for such a long time.
Saturday April 4
– Sexual Assault. Police are seeking public assistance in relation to an alleged sexual assault of a 17-year-old female. Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Derek Maurice said the alleged incident occurred on Bagot Road near the over pass on Saturday 4 April at approximately 7:00pm. “It is alleged the female was walking across an oval when she was attacked from behind and sexually assaulted by an unknown male.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A police officer working in southern NSW has been charged with assault after a domestic violence incident. The male senior constable, who is attached to a specialist command in the NSW Southern Region, was arrested at his home about 11pm on Saturday, April 4. The man was charged with assault causing bodily harm and has been bailed with conditions to appear in Cooma Local Court on April 21.
– Alleged, Attempted Abduction, Indecent Assault. ConFest at Moulamein has been rocked by the attempted abduction and alleged indecent assaults of two young boys. Police have charged a 43 year old man with two counts of aggravated indecent assault and refused bail. It is alleged the man assaulted a boy in the bathroom before attempting to carry him away. The attacker slipped over, with the boy taking that opportunity to run back to his parents. The next day, the same man is alleged to have indecently assaulted a seven-year-old boy while they were using an inflatable mattress at a nearby river.
Friday April 3
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A Canberra man accused of striking the mother of his 11-week-old baby before putting her into a chokehold has been denied bail. The accused was arrested on Friday and charged with one count of assault after police obtained surveillance footage of the incident. The footage showed the man grabbing his partner by her arms, striking her in the abdomen twice, putting her into a chocker hold and then moving her out of the frame.
– Alleged, Assault. VCU’s Mo Alie-Cox set for trial after allegedly punching woman at nightclub. VCU basketball player Mo Alie-Cox was charged with misdemeanor assault last month after allegedly punching a woman in the face at a Richmond nightclub on April 3. His case will go to trial June 15, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
Thursday April 2
– Alleged, Gunpoint Abduction. Police have arrested 32-year-old Carl Garry Chapman, who allegedly attacked his ex-partner, 18 year old Billy-Anne Huxham, with a machete before abducting her at gunpoint, Caboolture, QLD. Police have charged him with “torture, deprivation of liberty, dangerous conduct with a weapon, possession of a weapon, evade police, unlicensed driving, unlawful use of a motor vehicle, enter dwelling with intent and assault occasioning bodily harm”, and breaching his bail conditions.
– Indecent Assault. Police are appealing for a witness to come forward after the alleged indecent assault of a woman in Kensington yesterday evening. Shortly before 10.30pm, a 21-year-old woman caught a taxi outside a licensed premises travelling west on Gardeners Road, near the intersection of Botany Road, at Mascot, NSW. It’s alleged the taxi driver then drove through a number of residential streets and indecently assaulted the woman. He later dropped the woman on Barker Street at Kensington and she contacted Triple Zero (000).
– Alleged, Child Pornography. A prominent Australian military adviser accused in the US of uploading child pornography to a social media website is discussing a plea deal agreement with prosecutors. Cobb allegedly uploaded images of child pornography involving girls to the social networking site, Tumblr. If convicted of the receipt and distribution of child pornography charge he faces 20 years’ jail in the US.
Wednesday April 1
– Sexual Assault. A woman has told police she fought off four men who grabbed and assaulted her while she walked at Pooraka on Tuesday. Holden Hill police have appealed for information to find the men. The woman was walking along Carr St about 8.30pm when the men pulled up in a car. “The men grabbed the woman from behind, assaulted her before she managed to scream, then the men left in the vehicle,’’. The men fled in a dark-blue Holden Commodore sedan with damage to the front bumper bar and was displaying P plates.
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. A man has been charged with allegedly sexually and indecently assaulting an intellectually disabled woman over an 18 month period. The 32 year old man worked with the 34 year old woman at a supermarket in Lane Cove during 2011 and were flatmates for a time in Lane Cove North. He has been charged with five counts of aggravated sexual assault, one of aggravated indecent assault and four counts of common assault.
– Alleged, Assault. A man has been remanded in custody after he allegedly beat a woman, leaving her with head injuries and a suspected broken arm. It is alleged Calvin William Olbar, 42, assaulted the woman on Dan Hart Lane before chasing her into a nearby unit complex where he punched her in the head a number of times, causing her to fall to the ground. He then allegedly kicked her multiple times. Mr Olbar did not apply for bail.
– Alleged, Child Sex Charges. An 18-year-old man has been charged with multiple counts of having sexual intercourse with a 14 year old girl.
Tuesday March 31
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A woman has been taken to Gold Coast University Hospital after suffering a minor stab wound to her arm. Emergency services were called to a Southport unit about 9pm to reports of a woman stabbed during an argument.
– Assault. An unconscious woman has been found with her hands tied together in a car park in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney. Police appealed for witnesses after the woman, believed to be aged in her 20s, was found in a parking area used by rail commuters at Mount Victoria. A crime scene was established and examined by specialist forensic officers.
Monday March 30
– Alleged, Assault. A man has appeared in court charged over the stabbing murder of his wife and injuring an 18-year-old woman. Haydar Haydar, aged 58, had earlier handed himself in to police after his 45-year-old wife was found stabbed to death inside a unit on Valda St, Bexley, about 6.45pm last night. The 18-year-old girl, believed to be the woman’s daughter, was taken to hospital having suffered serious injuries to her hands. He has been charged with murder and wounding with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm.
– *Update ~ Breach Domestic Violence Order. David Clencie, a former Neighbours star has been released from prison in Melbourne after again breaching a family violence order. Clencie was recently arrested by police at the home of a woman protected from him by an intervention order. Clencie had been arrested last October over allegations he had assaulted her, a matter that was resolved earlier this year with a guilty plea after he had served a period on remand. Prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Damon Hunter told the court that Clencie had previously continuously breached intervention orders protecting her and that he had been released 10 days before committing the further offence that breached a current order.
Sunday March 29
– Indecent Behaviour. Police are investigating a report of indecent behaviour at Warradale. Just after midnight on Sunday 29 March, a woman was walking near the intersection of Morphett Road and Murray Terrace when a man appeared in front of her from behind a brick wall. He then behaved in an indecent manner. The woman was not injured. The man is described as being of Caucasian appearance, aged in his late 30’s, large build and collar length hair. He was wearing shorts, black t-shirt and sandals. The man has tattooed arms and legs.Anyone with information that might assist the investigators is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or report online.
Saturday March 28
– Alleged, Assault. A man has been charged with indecently assaulting a teenage boy on a Newcastle bound train. Police say the 48 year old man sat next to his alleged 13-year-old victim and his two friends, as the train headed to Newcastle at around 4.40pm (AEDT) on Saturday. The man allegedly offered the boy alcohol before indecently assaulting him. He has been charged with indecently assaulting a person under the age of 16, common assault, as well as stalk and intimidation.
– Alleged, Assault. Police arrested a man yesterday following an investigation into an indecent assault at North Adelaide on the weekend. Police will allege the man entered the victim’s home and indecently assaulted her on Saturday 28 March. Eastern Adelaide CIB detectives yesterday arrested and charged the 31-year-old North Plympton man with serious criminal trespass and indecent assault. He was refused police bail and will appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court today.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A 24-year-old Mount Gambier has been issued with a Police Interim Intervention Order after he allegedly assaulted his ex-partner. Police will allege the assault occurred at the woman’s home at about 6.45pm on Saturday 28 March. The suspect has been charged with aggravated assault and trespass and bailed to appear in the Mount Gambier Magistrates Court on 5 May.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A man has been charged with numerous domestic violence related offences after an incident in Bankstown on Saturday. Police were called after an altercation between a man and a woman at a home in Melanie Street which resulted in a two week old baby being taken to hospital as a precaution. Police have charged a man with two counts of common assault (domestic violence), intimidation (domestic violence), breach of apprehended domestic violence order and take action that results in health/physical damage.
– Alleged, Assault An elderly woman has been rescued after a violent attack. Police say the man has been detained on mental health grounds. The woman was taken to hospital with minor injuries.
– Guilty Plea, Sexual Assault. A Townsville man has pleaded guilty to child sex offences against five children, including his two stepdaughters. The man, 55, who cannot be named, was charged with one count of sexual assault, seven counts of rape, two counts of maintaining a sexual relationship with a child, nine counts of indecent dealing with a child in his care, two counts of making child exploitation material and one count of possessing child exploitation material.
Friday March 27
– Alleged, Sexual Assault of a Minor. A Nowra man will appear in court on Saturday after he was charged with more than 25 offences relating to the sexual and indecent assault of a child. Earlier this year, police became aware of allegations suggesting a 29-year-old Nowra man had been sexually and indecently assaulting a teenage boy.
– Alleged, Aggravated Assault. Police have arrested and charged a 30–year-old man from the Limestone Coast area with aggravated assault in relation to an incident which occurred on Friday March 27 during which a woman was assaulted by a man known to her. He was bailed to appear in the Mount Gambier Magistrates Court at a later date and was issued with a Police Interim Intervention Order.
– Sexual Assault. Police are appealing for assistance after a teenager was approached and indecently assaulted at Warilla yesterday. About 4.25pm, a 14-year-old girl was walking along Shellharbour Road near the intersection of Queen Street. He is described as being of Caucasian appearance, aged in his mid 20s, about 165cm tall with an obese build and red and purple dyed hair.
Thursday March 26
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. Police have arrested a 22-year-old man after the alleged sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl at Nambucca Heads. The accused was charged at Macksville Police Station for the offence. Bail was refused and the man is due to appear before Coffs Harbour Local Court on May 12.
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. A 65-year-old man has been refused bail after he allegedly assaulted a 12-year-old girl and made sexual remarks to her while she was catching a bus to school in Sydney’s east on Thursday. Glenn Maguire, of Eastlakes, was charged with intimidation, assault and inciting a person under 16 to commit acts of indecency.
Wednesday March 25
– Alleged, Assault. A man who bashed four people in one day, including actor and author Tara Moss in Kings Cross, has now been charged with stubbing a cigarette out on a young woman’s back days after being released from hospital. Assault charges against Alex Lal for punching four random victims in separate attacks in Darlinghurst Rd on February 14 were dismissed under section 33 of the Mental Health (Forensic Provisions) Act. Lal, 24, of Parramatta, appeared in Central Local Court yesterday charged with pressing a lit cigarette on to the back of the 18-year-old woman as she sat in Springfield Mall on Wednesday afternoon. Police strongly opposed bail, saying the act was “random, without provocation and particularly cruel’’.
– Attempted Abduction. A 27-year-old woman was walking along Falcon Street, near the intersection of Sharon Street, about 10.25pm, when she was grabbed from behind. It is alleged the man covered her mouth and tried to force her into the boot of a silver or grey sedan. He’s described as being of Mediterranean/Middle Eastern or Indian/Sub-continental appearance, aged in his early to mid-30s, about 175cm tall with a stocky build, and short dark hair. At the time he was wearing a black T-shirt and black pants.
– Assault. A 27-year-old woman has been taken to Gold Coast University Hospital after an alleged assault at Southport. Reports said the woman was allegedly pushed over in the car park at Club Southport, possibly during an argument between two men.
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. A man, 36, charged with a number of rape and sexual assault charges has had his case handed up to District Court. The man, who cannot be named, has been charged with 13 counts of indecent treatment of children under 16, eight counts of rape, six sexual assault charges and one count of unlawful sodomy of a person under 18. He will face court at a later date.
Tuesday March 24
– Sexual Assault. A man assaulted an 18-year-old woman at the Australian National University on Tuesday night, police said. It was the second attack at a Canberra university in a week, although police do not believe they are linked.
– Young Girl Harassed. A young girl has been “chased and terrorised” by two drivers as she walked home from school on the Sunshine Coast. The 13-year-old was harassed after she got off the school bus near the Palmwoods Warriors Football Club fields on Tuesday afternoon. According to the club’s Facebook page, two cars “chased and terrorised” her as she started walking home. “There was one occupant in each car, yelling things out the window like `we’re gonna get you’,” the post read. The girl tried to evade the two drivers by taking refuge with a family at the sportsground. When she thought they were gone, the teen decided to make a run for home. “However, they must have been waiting somewhere else watching for her,” the club said. “They then attempted to box her in, with one car up each end trying to trap her.” The girl eventually made it home but was shaken by her ordeal.
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. A Horsham man, 20, has been charged with two counts of indecent assault and two counts of wilful and obscene exposure. The man allegedly indecently assaulted a woman, 53, near Memorial Drive about 6.30am on Tuesday. On Wednesday morning, the same man allegedly exposed himself to an elderly woman walking along the path. The man was charged and bailed to appear at Horsham Magistrate’s Court on April 1.
Sunday March 22
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. Two Darwin men will appear in court accused of sexually assaulting a woman. Police say the pair, aged 18 and 33, assaulted the 43-year-old in Nightcliff before she fled and flagged down passing cars in the early hours of March 22. They were later arrested and remanded in custody after being charged with sexual intercourse without consent and gross indecency. Two men charged.
Saturday March 21
– Assault. Police are investigating the attack of a 72-year-old woman in Astrolabe Rd, Daceyville, on March 21. Neighbours said that about 5.40am they heard loud noises coming from the unit block where the woman lived. Police found her lying unconscious on the front porch with severe injuries to her head and body. She is still in a critical condition and unable to talk to detectives. She had not been sexually assaulted. “It was a violent attack on a defenceless lady with no apparent motive,’’ Insp Giles said.
Friday March 20
– Alleged, Assault, Torture, Contravention of Domestic Violence Order. David Nicoll, 45, appeared in Rockhampton Magistrates Court this morning, accused of torture, assault. He was also charged with five counts of contravention of a domestic violence order. Police allege the 45-year-old man assaulted and tortured a 54-year-old woman a number of times at a Bowlin Rd residence between Friday night and Saturday afternoon.
– Sexual Assault. Detectives investigating the sexual assault of a woman in Oxley on March 20 have released images of a man they believe may be able to assist them with their inquiries. Around 4.00pm a woman was walking through an easement between Muirfield Crescent and Oakmont Avenue when she was approached from behind and sexually assaulted by a man. The man is described as being Caucasian in appearance, approximately 185cm tall, proportionate build and had a shaved head. He was wearing a red shirt, shorts, black running shoes and carrying a blue bag. The man may have a tattoo on his inner left arm.
Thursday March 19
– Sexual Assault. A woman has been dragged into bushes and indecently assaulted at the University of Canberra. Police described the man as 180 centimetres tall with short hair and an Australian accent. He was wearing a black hooded jumper.
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. A teenage boy is facing six charges after police linked him to a spate of groping attacks in Springfield, near Ipswich in Queensland. Police believe the Camira 15-year-old approached seven girls and women aged between 14 and 49, six of which he assaulted. None were physically injured. He is charged with sexual assault, indecent act, common assault and public nuisance. Due to his age, he will be dealt with under the Youth Justice Act.
Wednesday March 18
– Indecent Behaviour. Alice Springs Police are seeking public assistance in relation to an indecent behaviour incident. A 16-year-old-girl was walking north along Priest Street at around 9am when she was approached by an unknown male who exposed himself. The offender is described as a male of Aboriginal appearance, aged in his mid-30’s, approximately 165cm tall, solid build and shaved head.
– Alleged, Obscene Exposure, Indecent Assault. A Horsham man faces jail time after using sexual language and exposing himself to four women. Benjamin Cooke-Harrison, 21, is facing charges for indecent assault, wilful and obscene exposure, behaving in an indecent manner in public, committing an indictable offence while on bail and drug trafficking. Police prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Matt Haughton told the court Cooke-Harrison allegedly exposed himself to three women and touched another inappropriately in three separate incidents on March 17 and 18. All four women were walking along the Wimmera River in Horsham when the incidents allegedly occurred.
Tuesday March 17
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. Police have charged a 33-year-old man following the alleged aggravated assault of his partner. Police allege the offender assaulted a 32-year-old woman on four separate occasions between 19 February and 17 March in Alice Springs and remote communities in Central Australia. The man has been charged with Aggravated assault (x4), Breach Domestic Violence Order (x4), Armed with an offensive weapon (x3), Armed with an offensive weapon at night (x4).
Monday March 16
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. Police have arrested a 30-year-old male after hearing a loud disturbance from a neighbouring house while attending another incident. Detective Superintendent Brent Warren said the Officers checked the house out of concern for the occupants after hearing a woman screaming. Officers observed injuries on the face of the female and were forced to defend themselves when the male violently resisted Police presence. The male has been charged with aggravated assault, assault Police and resist Police in execution of their duty. A Domestic Violence Order and an Alcohol Protection Order have also being served on the male.
Sunday March 15
– Indecent Assault. Police have released a COMFIT image of a man they believe was involved in two indecent assaults in Paramatta and Green Valley. At 1.30am on Sunday, March 15 the man got into a blue Mazda 2 that was stopped at traffic lights on the Great Western Highway at the intersection of Marsden Street, Paramatta. The man demanded the driver, a 22-year-old woman, to continue driving before he indecently exposed himself and performed a lewd act. He left the vehicle a short time later. Police believe the incident may be related to another indecent assault in Green Valley on February 17.
– Sexual Assault. About 3am on Sunday 15 March 2015, a 19-year-old woman was on Kiora Road when she was confronted by a man who pushed her to the ground and threatened her with a knife. The perpetrator sexually assaulted the woman before he stole her wallet, police added.
– Assault. Police are seeking witnesses after a woman was assaulted on a train between Gosford and Narara. Two women, aged 21 and 25, boarded a north-bound train at Gosford at 3.11am today. As the pair entered the lower deck of the carriage, they were followed and approached by three men. One of the men splashed drink from a can onto the women and then grabbed the younger woman’s hands, applying extreme pressure and breaking a bone in her wrist.
– Indecent Assault and Assault. A man and woman were walking on North Terrace in the city, when the woman was allegedly indecently assaulted by one of the two men pictured, SA. The man in company with the female victim intervened and the couple went to walk off, but the two suspects allegedly assaulted the man from behind, punching and kicking him when he fell to the ground. The couple were not seriously injured in the incident. Eastern Adelaide Police are investigating and have obtained CCTV images of the suspects sought over both incidents. Descriptions available
Friday March 13
– Alleged, Assault, Intent to Maim. A man has been charged with maiming a woman by allegedly pouring boiling water on her in Mt Isa. The woman, 31, suffered serious burns and was treated at Mt Isa Hospital. A man, 44, will appear in Mt Isa Magistrates Court on Monday, charged with acts intended to maim or disfigure. He is accused of twice pouring boiling water on the woman on Friday night, then refusing to call or allow her to seek medical treatment.
Tuesday March 10
– Sexual Assault. Three men laughed and jeered as another sexually assaulted and punched a woman walking home from work in Melbourne’s CBD. The 20-year-old woman, known as ‘Addy’, was attacked just before midnight on March 10 at the entrance to Eagle Alley, a laneway off Latrobe Street. She was sexually assaulted as three men hurled verbal abuse at her and cheered on her attacker. The four men are described as Caucasian, in their early to mid-30s and wearing dress shirts and jeans.
Monday March 9
– Alleged, Sexual Assault of Minor. Alice Springs Police have arrested and charged a 29-year-old man following the sexual assault of minor. He was refused bail overnight, to appear in Alice Springs Magistrates Court today.
Sunday March 8
– Assault. A 21-year-old woman was allegedly assaulted by two men impersonating police officers. The men allegedly pulled her over, asked for her licence, when she challenged them they allegedly assaulted her, stole her purse and fled.
Thursday March 5
– *Update ~ Post mortem of baby reveals ‘clear sign of trauma’. Police will allege a post mortem of a four-month-old boy reveals “a clear sign of trauma” after charging the baby’s 22-year-old father with his murder. The man was arrested by detectives at Townsville on Wednesday and charged over the death of the infant who, in a cruel twist, lost his life in Maryborough on Father’s Day. The baby’s parents were staying at his grandfather’s Jupiter St home when he was found unresponsive in his cot on September 1, 2013. The father, who now lives at Kelso, was charged with murder and failing to supply necessaries of life. He fronted the Townsville Magistrates Court on Wednesday afternoon and was refused bail.
Tuesday March 3
– Filming Woman Using Toilet. Police are searching for a man who filmed a woman in a toilet cubicle with a mobile phone at a Melbourne university campus. Police said the 19-year-old woman had just finished studying in the library just before 7:00pm on March 3 when she entered a toilet block. She began using the facilities in the first cubicle when she noticed a shadow on the floor and looked up, seeing a mobile phone being held over the wall filming her. The woman, who police said was “terrified”, screamed and the phone disappeared. She then heard a man in the next cubicle apologising. Police have released CCTV footage of a man carrying a mobile phone in the area at the time. The man is described as being Asian in appearance, between 20-25 years old and 160-170cm tall with short black hair and was wearing thick-rimmed black glasses.
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. Police have charged a 50-year-old man for the alleged sexual assault of a 39-year-old woman in Karama on Tuesday evening. The alleged offender was arrested by Police and charged with sexual intercourse without consent and aggravated assault.
Sunday March 1
– Assault. ACT Policing is seeking to identify three members of the public who could assist police with an ongoing assault investigation that occurred at Mooseheads in Civic during the early hours on Sunday, 1 March 2015. Around 1am, the female victim was dancing with friends on the ‘downstairs’ dance floor when she was assaulted by an unknown male.
Tuesday February 24
– Alleged, Assault. A man was armed with a knife when police arrested him following an incident in which a woman was allegedly assaulted, Pittsworth QLD. The woman was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Monday February 23
– Alleged, Sexual Assault, Torture. A 23-year-old man has been charged with a string of offences after police allege he raped, tortured and repeatedly assaulted a 29-year-old woman on Tuesday afternoon at Rockhampton. It is believed that the attack occurred for about 14 hours before the woman managed to call police after the alleged offender fell asleep. The 23-year-old man has been charged with a total of eleven offences including one count each of torture, grievous bodily harm and sexual assault; two counts each of assault occasioning bodily harm whilst armed and assault occasioning bodily harm, three counts of rape and breaching a domestic violence order.
– Alleged, Child Pornography. A 32 year old man has been charged with using a carriage service for the purposes of child pornography. Adelaide, SA.
– Alleged, Sexual Assault while Armed. A 35-year-old Japanese National has been charged with sexual assault while armed, assault occasioning bodily harm, wilful damage, unlawful possession of a Category D/H/R weapon and possession of a knife in a public place. Police will allege they were called to the business following reports that a man had seriously assaulted a woman and then assaulted a man who came to her aid.
Sunday February 22
– Indecent Assault. A man aged 35 – 55 approached a 15 year old girl from behind, as she was walking to the ticket barrier at Campsie Railway Station, and indecently assaulted her, NSW. Description available.
Saturday February 21
– Alleged, Unlawful Wounding. A 33 year old man arrested and charged with unlawful wounding and contravening a domestic violence order, Cairns, QLD. Police will allege he stabbed the 30 year old woman once in the head causing a deep laceration to her temple area, medical treatment was provided.
– Alleged, Aggravated Assault. A Western Australian police officer has been charged with assaulting a woman at a home on February 21. The woman received facial injuries in the assault. The male detective sergeant has been charged with aggravated assault occasioning bodily harm.
Friday February 20
– Girl Approached. A middle aged man approached a 10-year-old girl in his car as she was walking outside the gates to a school. He continued to drive slowly as she walked, then pulled up next to the girl, before she ran into the school and alerted a staff member. Westleigh, NSW. Police believe the incident may be linked to a similar incident in the Westleigh area on Friday 13 February 2015. Description available.
– Alleged, Indecently Filming Children. A 49 year old man is facing over 100 charges of indecently filming children at two northern suburbs shopping centres by strapping a mobile phone to his foot. Warwick, QLD. Police told reporters they believe he indecently filmed children over a four year period. He will reportedly plead guilty to all charges.
Tuesday February 17
– Alleged, Kidnapping and Domestic Assault. A 46 year old man has been charged with six offences: – Assault occasioning actual bodily harm, Contravene Apprehended Violence Order, Take/detain in company with intent to get advantage occasion actual bodily harm, Take etc person intend serious indictable offence, Stalk/intimidate intend fear physical etc harm, Possess or use a prohibited weapon without permit – after allegedly assaulting and detaining a 50 year old woman for a three-week period, Cabramatta, NSW.
– Alleged, Act of Indecency. A 57 year old male high school teacher has been charged with two offences, committing an act of indecency towards a female under 16, and offensive behaviour, following reports of alleged inappropriate behaviour towards a group of adolescent females at a swimming pool earlier this month. Investigations by detectives also identified alleged covert video recordings of young females in swimwear on his mobile phone. Forster, NSW.
– Alleged, Aggravated Assaults. An 18-year-old man was arrested and charged with aggravated indecent assault, aggravated assault, assault, gross indecency and two count of acts to endanger life. Police will allege the assault offences occurred in 2014 when the victim, his ex girlfriend, was aged 13 years. Mount Gambier, SA.
Monday February 16
– Girl Approached. A man in his late thirties approached and intimidated a 16-year-old girl was walking down a street, Cambridge Park, NSW. He drove past her slowly, then continued to drive past the girl, making u-turns at the end of the street. The girl ran from the scene. Description available.
Sunday February 15
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. A 23 year old man appeared in court today charged with engaging in sexual intercourse with a person without their consent. Adelaide, SA. Police will allege that just after 2am the victim was sexually assaulted by this man inside a licensed premises.
Saturday February 14
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. Police allege a 42-year-old man assaulted his partner at a residence in Sadadeen on Thursday. According to police, the offender allegedly assaulted the 43-year-old woman again on Saturday. She received treatment for injuries to her head and offender was arrested a short time later. He was charged with two counts of aggravated assault, armed with an offensive weapon and unlawfully cause harm.
Friday February 13
– Alleged, Gross Indecency. A 27 year old man arrested and charged with gross indecency and hinder police, Henley Beach, SA. The man was seen by members of the public allegedly masturbating and exposing himself. Police will allege the man was committing this act while following a teenager in school uniform who did not appear to be aware of the situation.
– *Update ~ Alleged, Domestic Violence. A Hamilton father charged with assaulting his 21-month-old son and heavily pregnant partner has been released back into the community. Kyle Cobby, 22, was remanded in custody in Warrnambool Magistrates Court two weeks ago but made a successful bail application yesterday. He has been charged with intentionally causing injury to his son and false imprisonment and intentionally causing injury to his 19-year-old partner, who is 37 weeks pregnant. Police prosecutor Senior Constable Kevin Mullins vigorously opposed bail, saying that Mr Cobby was alleged to have seriously assaulted his partner and son in a shocking case of domestic violence. He said Mr Cobby hog-tied the woman and, during a recorded interview with police, openly threatened to kill her.
Thursday February 12
– Sexual Assault. A 30 – 45 year old man entered a female toilet block and forced his way into the cubicle of a 32 year old woman and sexually assaulted her, Rivervale, WA. The man fled the area on foot, stealing the woman’s purse. Description available.
– Alleged, Child Pornography. A 23 year old man arrested for one count of using a carriage service to access child exploitation material and two counts of possessing child exploitation material. Adelaide, SA.
Wednesday February 11
– Indecent Assault. A man, approximately 35 years of age, inappropriately starred at a 15 year old girl who was using the public exercise equipment on a beach reserve, she became uncomfortable and left walking north along the cycle path. The man followed and approached her, attempting to engage her in conversation before indecently assaulting her. The girl ran in a northerly direction leaving the man behind when other path users approached. Scarborough. WA. Description available.
– Alleged, Unlawful Wounding. A 16 year old boy charged with trespass and common assault, and a 15 year old boy charged with trespass, after a 36 year old female resident of an apartment complex spoke to a group of teenagers who were loitering in the pool area and escorted them out of the pool area, Mermaid Beach, QLD. Police will allege a physical disturbance took place between the woman and teens a short time later resulting in the woman sustaining a single puncture wound to her back. Two other teens are still being sought by police.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence, Deprivation of Liberty. A 31-year-old man will appear in Katherine Magistrates Court following a domestic violence incident in Katherine. Detective Sergeant Ian Kennon said the man was observed at a service station allegedly forcing his partner into a vehicle at around 4:30am before driving west along the Victoria Highway. Police allege the vehicle the offender was driving had been stolen from a residence in Woolner earlier this month. He was charged with Aggravated assault, Engaging in a conduct that breaches a DVO, Deprivation of Liberty.
Tuesday February 10
– Alleged, Child Pornography. An 18 year old man arrested and charged with possessing and disseminating child pornography, Adelaide, SA.
Monday February 9
– Indecent Assault. Mandurah Local Policing Team officers are seeking the public’s assistance for information to assist them with their investigation into an incident in Mandurah on Monday, February 9. A 20-year-old woman was walking along Allnutt Street towards the foreshore when a man approached her from behind and indecently assaulted her. The man is described as being in his late 30s, about 178cms tall with a fair complexion, of medium build with short, shaved hair. He has distinctive tattoos on both shoulders shaped like arrows.
– Alleged, Attempted Kidnapping. A 22 year old man was charged with attempt to detain person with intent to obtain advantage, of a 14-year-old girl walking on Riverside Drive, Campbelltown, NSW.
Sunday February 8
– Indecent Assault. A Woman has been indecently assaulted at the St Kilda Festival. It is believed the male of Indian descent, aged between 18 and 30 committed a lewd act while the woman was moshing in a busy crowd watching a band at about 8.20pm on Sunday, February 8.
– Sexual Assault. Frankston Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Team detectives are appealing for witnesses after a woman was sexually assaulted at the Beach Street shopping centre on 8 February around 5.15pm. The victim, a 42-year-old woman who is employed as a cleaner at the centre, was in the process of cleaning the lift when two men entered on level one. The men are described as being aged in their late 60s.
Saturday February 7
– Restrained and Robbed. A man in his twenties confronted a 49 year old woman outside her home and demanded money, he then bound her hands and feet inside the house, stole her jewellery and left. Tuggerah Lakes, NSW. The woman was able to alert her daughter who was sleeping in a nearby room and call the police. Description available.
– Alleged, Indecent Assault of a Child. A 50 year old man has been charged with aggravated indecent assault and committing act of indecency upon child under 10, following an indecent assault of a six year old girl. Auburn, NSW.
– Alleged, Gross Indecency. Detectives from the Sex Crimes Unit have arrested and charged a 30-year-old male with four counts of gross indecency in a public place. Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Janelle Tonkin said the male was also charged with unlawful stalking. “Police were contacted by a female resident of an inner-city apartment complex on 7 February, stating a naked male was standing outside the front of her unit. Fortunately, although shocked, the woman had the presence of mind to photograph the male with her mobile phone.”
Friday February 6
– Armed Robbers Target Women. Four men, one allegedly armed with a gun and another armed with a knife, entered a brothel demanding money, Annandale, NSW. No one was injured in the robbery, a crime scene was established. Information wanted.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A 20-year-old man will appear in Alice Springs Magistrates Court following the alleged assault of a 20-year-old woman. Police will allege the offender struck the victim a number of times with a pair of crutches. The woman was taken to Alice Springs Hospital to receive treatment for injuries to her arms. The offender was charged with unlawfully causing serious harm and engaging in conduct that contravenes a Domestic Violence Order.
Thursday February 5
– Alleged, Child Pornography. A 41 year old man was charged with 21 counts of cause child to engage in sexual intercourse in presence of defendant; one count of cause child to engage in sexual activity in presence of the defendant; and two counts of possess child-abuse material, Sydney NSW. The children believed to be aged between 8 and 14, are located overseas. “The emerging issue of ‘pay-per-view’ live-streamed child pornography is deeply concerning, and police will continue to target those engaging in this behaviour,” “Inquiries are continuing and police will persist in their efforts to locate the child victims, as well as those who’ve offended against them,” Det Supt Howlett.
– Assault and Indecent Assault. Two men assaulted and robbed two women as they walked through an underpass, Lidcombe, NSW. A 40 year old woman was kicked in the stomach and her wallet taken by the first man, while the 51 year old woman was indecently assaulted and had her watch, jewellery and wallet taken by a second man. Descriptions available.
– Sexual Harassment. Townsville police in north Queensland are investigating a third case of a woman being sexually harassed at Riverway. It is alleged the woman was walking along Ridley Road in Kirwan yesterday afternoon when a man propositioned her. Police are urging residents to remain vigilant and patrols in the area have been increased.
– Alleged, Indecent Assault. A 22 year old man was charged with indecent assault and attempted sexual assault without consent, after two 16-year-old girls and a 15-year-old girl reported being allegedly sexually assaulted by three men at a Woolgoolga address, NSW. Investigators have since been able to identify the other two men involved, who have left the country. Police have also charged a 24-year-old man with being an accessory after the fact. “We know for a fact that a number of sexual predators use social media platforms and apps to target and groom children,” Detective Inspector Jameson.
Tuesday February 3
– Indecent Behaviour. A man in his early 20s knocked on a woman’s front door, and asked the occupant if she wanted a housemate. He then exposed himself to her. Brooklyn Park, SA. Desciption available. Police seeking information about possible similar incidents.
– Alleged, Possessing Unclassified Movies. A 55 year old man was charged with possessing films for sale that would either be refused classification of classified X18+, after police searched the business and located over 800 DVD’s that they allege would be refused classification or were X18+ rated. Barossa Valley, SA.
Monday February 2
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. Detectives from Strike Force Romulus have charged a 30-year-old man following the alleged assault of his partner. Detective Superintendent Brent Warren said the alleged offender assaulted his 30-year-old partner at a residence in Lajamanu on 2 February. The woman sustained injuries to her head arms and legs and was flown to Royal Darwin Hospital for treatment. Police arrested the offender in Alice Springs yesterday and charged him with unlawfully cause serious harm, armed with an offensive weapon and was also issued a Domestic Violence Order. March 2, man charged.
Sunday February 1
– Indecent Assault. A man in his mid twenties inappropriately touched a 24 year old woman from behind as she was walking along a street, Campsie, NSW. She crossed over to the opposite side of the road where the man indecently assaulted her again. A nearby witness called out to the man who then ran away. Description available.
Saturday January 31
– Alleged, Domestic Violence. A 20 year old man was charged with contravene prohibition/restriction in AVO, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm of a 21 year old woman, who had bruising to her ribs, back and wrist, Nowra, NSW.
Thursday January 29
– Alleged, Child Pornography. A 47 year old man charged with one count of possessing child exploitation material and one count of using a carriage service to access child exploitation material, Christies Beach, SA.
Monday January 26
– Alleged, Aggravated Indecent Assault. A 30 year old man walking towards a man and a women on Darlinghurst Road, allegedly indecently assaulted the woman, Sydney, NSW. The man with the woman then allegedly punched the 30 year old man and hit him in the head with a skateboard, before leaving with the woman. The 30 year man was charged with aggravated indecent assault. The man who defended the woman was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
– Alleged, Intimidation. A 44 year old man was arrested and charged with two counts of intimidation and offensive behaviour towards two teenage girls aged 15 and 16, and consuming alcohol on a train, Gosford Police Station.
– Indecent Assault. An unidentified man moved to sit next to a 14 year old girl who was travelling on a bus leaving a train station bus stop. A short time later, after the Fremantle Market Place bus stop, the man indecently assaulted her. Fremantle, WA. Information required.
Sunday January 25
– Alleged, Assault. A man has been charged over an alleged assault and dangerous driving in Coffs Harbour on Sunday night. About 9pm on Sunday, a 27-year-old man attended a car park on Ocean Pde at Coffs Harbour where he allegedly assaulted a 21-year-old woman. The woman was taken to hospital for treatment to facial injuries and she has since been discharged. The man was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm, contravene AVO, destroy or damage property, drive while licence cancelled, drive in a manner dangerous, negligent driving and armed with intent to commit indictable offence.
– Alleged, Domestic Violence ,Sexual Assault. An Illawarra man has pleaded not guilty to allegations he indecently assaulted an intellectually disabled woman. The 34-year-old man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is accused of trying to kiss the woman, stick his tongue in her mouth and grope her on the breast at Windang between 11pm on January 25 and 1am on January 26. The man has also been charged with three counts of contravening an apprehended violence order, one of which relates to the indecent assault allegations. The remaining two contraventions are alleged to have occurred on December 7 and December 31 last year.
– Sexual Assault. Central Gippsland Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team detectives are appealing for public assistance following the indecent assault of a teenage girl in Traralgon earlier this year. A 15-year-old girl was walking in the Breed Street area when she decided to cut through a car park/laneway at a day-care centre between 4.30pm and 5pm on 25 January. It is believed the girl was approached by a group of young men who surrounded her, bumping, nudging and pushing the girl whilst making sexualised comments. The main instigator then indecently assaulted the girl while she was still surrounded. The men are perceived to be Caucasian in appearance, aged in their early 20’s and ‘surfie’ looking
Wednesday January 21
– Alleged, Aggravated Sexual Assault. A 25 year old man has been charged with the aggravated sexual assault of victim under the age of 16 years, and indecent assault of person under 16 years of age, of a 14 year old girl, Walget, NSW.
– Alleged, Child Pornography. A 50 year old man arrested and charged with two counts of using a carriage for child pornography, Cessnock, NSW.
Tuesday January 20
– Girl Approached. A man approached a 17 year old girl asking for directions to a nearby motel, he then asked the girl to accompany him in his vehicle, claiming he was unclear of the directions, before reaching his arm out to her. The girl declined and left the scene. She was uninjured during the incident. Gosford. NSW
– Alleged, Aggravated Assault. A 31-year-old man has been charged with 23 offences following an incident at Tilmouth Well on Tuesday morning. Detective Acting Superintendent Peter Malley said the offender was involved in the alleged aggravated assault of a 27-year-old woman prior to causing thousands of dollars’ worth of damage to Tilmouth Well Roadhouse. He has been charged on a number of counts including Deprive a person of liberty (x2), Aggravated assault (x2), Recklessly endangering serious harm (x6), Make threats to kill a person, Assault and Engaging in a conduct that contravenes a DVO.
Sunday January 18
– Alleged, Domestic violence. Police have charged a man aged 19, after allegedly kicking a woman known to him in the face and right thigh, Eastlakes, NSW. He was given strict bail conditions to appear at Waverley Local Court on Thursday 29 January 2015.
Tuesday January 13
– Indecent Assaults. A man approximately 18 years old is wanted for a series of indecent assaults of women walking in the Mawson Lakes area, SA. 8 reports during October 2014 – January 2015. Description available.
Monday January 12
– Alleged, Child Sexual Abuse, Pornography. A 49 year old man has been charged with 20 counts of Indecently Recorded a Child under 13 years, 14 counts of Indecent Dealing of a Child under 13 years, Three counts of Indecent Acts in Public, One count of Sexual Penetration of a Child under 13 years and One count of Attempted Indecent Recording of a Child under 13 years, Balga, WA. Related.
Friday January 9
– Domestic Violence. Alice Springs Police have now made 50 arrests during the ongoing Operation Romulus. Detective Senior Sergeant Peter Dash said the operation targets recidivist offenders, ensures compliance with Domestic Violence Orders and bail conditions and provides support and assistance to the victims. There have been 158 offences recognised during the past 13 weeks of the operation and 55 Domestic Violence Orders served.
Tuesday January 6
– Alleged, Sexual Assaults. An 18 year old man has been arrested and charged with six assault related charges including two counts each of sexual and common assault and one count each of attempted sexual assault and serious assault. Brisbane, QLD. An operation commenced to investigate several alleged incidents, believed to be linked, where females have been walking alone at night and have been approached by a man. The incidents were alleged to have occurred between February and December 2014.
Sunday January 4
– Sexual Assault. A man approximately 35 years old is wanted by police for approaching a woman from behind while she sat at a table in a picnic area. He threatened her with a sharp object, and following a struggle, sexually assaulted her before fleeing on foot, Wynnum, QLD. Description available.
Saturday January 3
– Sexual Assault. A woman aged in her 40’s has been sexually assaulted while walking her dog on a Melbourne beach. “The man has exposed himself and then indecently assaulted the woman,” Victoria Police spokeswoman Leonie Johnson said. The offender, is aged between 40 and 50, about 172 centimetres tall and bald.
Friday January 2
– Alleged, Assault. A man accused of bashing a woman during an argument on New Year’s Day has been released on bail. Cameron Allan Smith allegedly assaulted a 41-year-old woman after they got into a fight with a woman at a unit in Nambucca Heads on NSW’s mid north coast. Smith has been charged with recklessly inflicting grievous bodily harm, attempting to choke, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
Thursday January 1
– Alleged, Sexual Assault. An Uber driver has been arrested over an alleged assault on a 19-year-old woman during a car trip on New Year’s Day. Police allege the teenager was indecently assaulted before she was dropped in Templestowe, in Melbourne’s north-east. Officers arrested a 31-year-old Noble Park man over the incident. He is expected to be charged with sex offences and unaccredited driving.
– Sexual Assault. A woman was sexually assaulted on Australia Day outside a house in Windsor. Police said the woman met her attacker outside the Pint on Punt hotel on Punt Road, before walking with him along Peel Street. The pair started arguing and the man forced the woman to the ground and “seriously sexually assaulted” her, police said. The man then ran off. The man is believed to be 25 years old and is described as having tanned skin and short, dark hair that was shaved at the back and sides.
1800RESPECT is the National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service. They are able to provide phone and online counselling, information and support, as well as referral to local support services.
If you need help now call 000
*This is in no way an extensive list.
- Man Murders Woman 2015 Australia #CountingDeadWomen
- Porn and domestic violence: NSW Police says respect for women from young men crucial, 2014
- The link between pornography and domestic violence – Podcast ABC Brisbane, 2015
- Queensland Government targets domestic violence by declaring choking a criminal offence, November 2015
“ABC aired Australians on Porn December 2015. On the program, a Gold Coast Sexual Assault Centre Director was quoted on porn’s link to sexual violence:
The biggest common denominator of the increase of intimate partner rape of women between 14 and 80 is the consumption of porn by the offender . . . We have seen a huge increase in deprivation of liberty, physical injuries, torture, drugging, sharing photos and film without consent and deprivation of liberty.
This evidence was dismissed as “irrelevant” by some on the panel – the majority of whom were porn users and supporters. Porn, they suggested, isn’t to blame for negatively shaping peoples’ behaviours. Rather, it opens minds and provides new ideas for the bedroom.
This argument sharply contrasts with police views and consistent research regarding the harmful effects of pornography. Studies backed by numerous meta-analysis show attitudes toward gender equality, sexual aggression and rape acceptance are worse for viewers of pornography.”
Full piece by Laura McNally here